How much magnetic power is needed to stop a slow car.

In summary: That's the good side of learning stuff. Don't let this instance discourage you from continuing to have neat ideas. There's no such thing as a bad idea, as long as it isn't pursued beyond the point of reason. Yours, for instance, is a very good one in principle; it just won't work magnetically. Lots of auto makers these days are incorporating anti-collision systems into their products. They're active rather than passive, though. Ultrasonic or radar sensors cause the onboard computer to electromechanically apply the brakes. It's taken them decades and millions of dollars to develop those, so don't feel badly that yours didn't make it off the launching pad the
Lancer2death
Hello everyone, I need to figure out how much magnetic force is required to stop a car going 15 mph, weighing 5071 lbs, at an angular velocity of 1rad/s, with a force of 30,848 Newton’s, and accelerating at13.41 m/s^2. In addition, what would the size(dimensions) of this magnet have to be? Meaning, what magnet or contraption would have enough magnetic force to stop this car with characteristics I mentioned above.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lancer2death said:
Hello everyone, I need to figure out how much magnetic force is required to stop a car going 15 mph, weighing 5071 lbs, at an angular velocity of 1rad/s, with a force of 30,848 Newton’s, and accelerating at13.41 m/s^2. In addition, what would the size(dimensions) of this magnet have to be? Meaning, what magnet or contraption would have enough magnetic force to stop this car with characteristics I mentioned above.

Welcome to PF, Lancer.
Your question lacks an awful lot of specifications, starting with what sort of organization you have in mind. For my bucks, I'd go with magnetic calipers acting upon a standard rotor. As for power requirements, I have no idea.

I don't know what to suggest...can you give me examples of specifications for power requirements?

I just saw your post in the main forum, and see what you had in mind. (By the way, you shouldn't duplicate these.) I can't foresee any way in which this could work, but I'm not an expert.

:-( sigh okay thanks. U r more of an export than me.

Lancer2death said:
:-( sigh
Sorry... I hate to discourage anyone, but magnetism acts over a very short distance. You would need an electromagnet, rather than a permanent one, in your design (to enable deactivation for stuff like parking and towing). I don't know that any system could meet the power requirement. Your magnet would have to lie somewhere between an MRI scanner and a cyclotron. It would probably be heavier than the car itself, and your car's engine wouldn't be able to drive a generator large enough to power it.
Aleph posted a really good link in your General Engineering thread to show you what's involved.

Allright I understand more now. Thank you! U all r very helpful. I am less bummed out now that I know why it won't work.

Lancer2death said:
Im less bummed out now that I know why it won't work.

That's the good side of learning stuff. Don't let this instance discourage you from continuing to have neat ideas. There's no such thing as a bad idea, as long as it isn't pursued beyond the point of reason. Yours, for instance, is a very good one in principle; it just won't work magnetically. Lots of auto makers these days are incorporating anti-collision systems into their products. They're active rather than passive, though. Ultrasonic or radar sensors cause the onboard computer to electromechanically apply the brakes. It's taken them decades and millions of dollars to develop those, so don't feel badly that yours didn't make it off the launching pad the first time.

Oh wow that's so cool! I didn't know that. Well thank u. I will definitely continue to come up with great ideas now that I have found an awsome website

Lancer2death said:
I will definitely continue to come up with great ideas now that I have found an awsome website

I look forward to seeing them. :smile:

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, Lancer.
Your question lacks an awful lot of specifications, starting with what sort of organization you have in mind. For my bucks, I'd go with magnetic calipers acting upon a standard rotor. As for power requirements, I have no idea.

I think you mean eddy brake retarder, I might buy one for my own project, a 2200Nm with 4-550kw costs around $2500, shipping and customs another $800, weight around 400lb, enough to stop a bus.

kazx9r said:
I think you mean eddy brake retarder

I didn't, actually, but it's a great system. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the technical side of that. My thought was to use very powerful electromagnets rather than hydraulic cylinders to force standard brake caliper pucks against the rotor. :redface:

1. How is magnetic power used to stop a slow car?

Magnetic power is used to stop a slow car through the principle of electromagnetic induction. When a conductive material, such as the metal wheels of a car, passes through a magnetic field, an electric current is induced in the material. This current then creates a magnetic force that opposes the motion of the car, slowing it down.

2. Is magnetic power more effective than traditional braking systems?

In most cases, magnetic power is not more effective than traditional braking systems. While it can be useful in certain situations, such as regenerative braking in electric cars, traditional braking systems are still the most reliable and efficient way to stop a car.

3. How much magnetic power is needed to stop a slow car?

The amount of magnetic power needed to stop a slow car depends on several factors, such as the weight and speed of the car, the strength of the magnetic field, and the distance between the magnets and the car. It is not a straightforward calculation and would require specific information about the car and the magnetic system being used.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using magnetic power to stop a car?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns with using magnetic power to stop a car. If the magnetic field is too strong, it could damage electronic components in the car or cause other safety hazards. It is important to carefully design and test any magnetic braking system to ensure it is safe for use.

5. Can magnetic power be used to stop all types of vehicles?

No, magnetic power is not suitable for all types of vehicles. It is most commonly used in electric cars, trains, and other vehicles that use regenerative braking. It may not be effective or safe to use on vehicles with non-metallic wheels or those that are very heavy or fast-moving.