How much new entropy have you created by mixing the water

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving mixing hot and cold water to take a warm bath. The total new entropy created by mixing the water is calculated by adding the entropy of each system, which is found using the formula S = Integral(Ti to Tf) (Cv / T) dT. However, there is confusion about the final temperature and the calculation is being reviewed.
mikee

Homework Statement

In order to take a warm bath, you mix 50 liters of hot water at 55 degrees Celsius with 25 liters of cold water at 10 degrees Celsius, How much new entropy have you created by mixing the water

Homework Equations

S = Integral(Ti to Tf) (Cv / T) dT

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok i am doing the question, let's call the 50 liters system A and 25 liters system B, so i calculated the entropy of each respective system and then getting the total entropy by Stot = Sa + Sb, and I am getting a negative answer and i do not understand this at at all because i thought entropy always increased. Anyways I am pretty sure I am doing the calculations correct but i will show what i did nonetheless.

50(55) + 25(10) = 50(Tf) + 25(Tf) where Tf was found to be 33.3 degrees celsuis.

Cv for system A is 50*1000*4.186 therefore Sa = Cv * ln((273+33.3)/(273+55)) = -1.432*10^4

Cv for system B is 25*1000*4.186 therefore Sb = Cv * ln((273 + 33)/(273+10)) = 8.27*10^3 and when you add them you get a negative entropy ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

mikee said:
Sa = Cv * ln((273+33.3)/(273+55)) = -1.432*10^4

Sb = Cv * ln((273 + 33)/(273+10)) = 8.27*10^3
Why are you using those formulas?

Because S = Integral(Ti to Tf) (Cv / T) dT, and Cv is not dependant on temperature for the problem so integral 1/T T = Ln(Tf/Ti).. and then i just plugged in the values.

Ah, yes... something looked wrong about it but I think I was just mixing it up with another equation.
mikee said:
50(55) + 25(10) = 50(Tf) + 25(Tf) where Tf was found to be 33.3 degrees celsuis.
Check that calculation again.

Your calculations are correct, and it is not uncommon to get a negative value for entropy. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system, and it can increase or decrease depending on the process. In this case, the mixing of hot and cold water decreases the disorder in the system, resulting in a decrease in entropy. This is because the hot and cold water have different temperatures and mixing them results in a more uniform temperature throughout the system. However, this decrease in entropy is offset by the increase in entropy in the surroundings, such as the air and the bathtub itself, which absorb the heat from the water and become more disordered. Overall, the total entropy of the universe still increases, as is required by the second law of thermodynamics. So while you may have decreased the entropy in the water, you have created an increase in entropy in the surroundings, resulting in a net increase in entropy.

1. How is new entropy created by mixing water?

When water is mixed, the molecules are rearranged in a less organized manner, leading to an increase in entropy. This is because there are more possible ways for the molecules to be arranged in the mixture compared to when they were separate.

2. What factors affect the amount of new entropy created by mixing water?

The amount of new entropy created by mixing water depends on the temperature and pressure of the water, the volume and concentration of the mixture, and the type of container it is mixed in.

3. Is the creation of new entropy always a spontaneous process when mixing water?

Yes, the mixing of water always leads to an increase in entropy, which is a spontaneous process according to the second law of thermodynamics.

4. Can the amount of new entropy created by mixing water be reversed?

No, the amount of new entropy created by mixing water cannot be reversed. Entropy can only increase or remain constant, but it cannot decrease.

5. How does the creation of new entropy by mixing water relate to its usefulness?

The creation of new entropy by mixing water makes it less useful for certain processes, such as generating energy. However, it can also be beneficial in other situations, such as in chemical reactions where the mixing of water can increase the rate of reaction.