How Much Power Does a Cyclist Develop Climbing a Slope with Resistance?

In summary, the problem involves a man of mass 70kg riding a bicycle of mass 15kg at a steady speed of 4.0 ms-1 up a road with a 1.0m rise for every 20m of its length. With a constant resistance to motion of 20 N, the cyclist is developing a power of 2.5x102W. Various approaches were suggested, including using trigonometry to find the angle of the slope and constructing a right-angled triangle to calculate the work done against gravity. Ultimately, solving for the time it takes the rider to travel up the hypotenuse of the triangle will generate the correct answer.
Mjpcampbell

Homework Statement

A man of mass 70kg rides a bicycle of mass 15kg at a steady speed of 4.0 ms-1 up a road which rises 1.0m for every 20m of its length. What power is the cyclist developing if there is a constant resistance to motion of 20 N? Take g as 10 ms-2 if necessary.

(The answer given in the book is 2.5x102W)

Homework Equations

power = work done/time taken
work done = force x distance moved in direction of force = force x velocity
w= mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I really can't get anywhere with this one after about 45 mins. I know I will kick myself. At first I made an attempt to find the angle of the slop using trigonometry and got a value of 2.9 degrees but this got me nowhere. I'm pretty sure I need to multiply the combined mass of 85 kg by the 1m rise in order to find the value of the work done against gravity. 85 x 10 = 850 N. I tried constructing a right-angled triangle with a hypotenuse of 20m and gave the side with a 1m rise a value of 850 N. But again this got me nowhere. I think the problem is calculating the force on the flat when the cyclist is traveling at 4ms-1 but I don't know how to do this in order to add that value onto the vertical component. My humble, frazzled brain could use some assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this is correct but I'll throw it out there, maybe someone else can help justify or disprove this claim.

I think the right angle triangle approach would work. You know he's traveling at a constant speed and you know the height he rises over a given distance.

All the work as he travels across the hypotenuse of this triangle will be a summation of kinetic energy and potential energy. Now solve for the time it takes the rider to travel up the hypotenuse of the triangle and hopefully you'll generate the correct answer.

Again I haven't done any of the calculations so I could be wrong, just thought I'd throw it out there.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known values and variables, and then using the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variable (power).

Known values:
- Mass of man (m1) = 70 kg
- Mass of bicycle (m2) = 15 kg
- Speed (v) = 4.0 ms-1
- Slope of road (rise/run) = 1/20
- Constant resistance to motion (Fr) = 20 N
- Acceleration due to gravity (g) = 10 ms-2

Unknown variable:
- Power (P)

First, I would calculate the total mass of the system (m1+m2) = 85 kg.

Next, I would calculate the work done against gravity (Wg) using the equation W = mgh, where h is the vertical distance moved (1m) and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Therefore, Wg = 85 kg x 10 ms-2 x 1m = 850 J.

Then, I would calculate the work done against resistance (Wr) using the equation W = Fd, where F is the force of resistance (20 N) and d is the distance moved (20m). Therefore, Wr = 20 N x 20m = 400 J.

Next, I would calculate the total work done (W) by adding the work done against gravity and resistance: W = Wg + Wr = 850 J + 400 J = 1250 J.

Using the equation for power, P = W/t, I would then solve for time (t) by rearranging the equation t = W/P. Plugging in the values for W and P, I get t = 1250 J/2.5x102 W = 0.005 s.

Finally, I would plug in the values for work (W) and time (t) into the equation for work done (W = Fd) to solve for the force (F) acting on the cyclist on the flat road. Therefore, F = W/d = 1250 J/20m = 62.5 N.

To find the total force (Ft) acting on the cyclist, I would use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the forces of gravity (850 N) and the force on the flat road (62.5 N

Related to How Much Power Does a Cyclist Develop Climbing a Slope with Resistance?

1. What is power and how is it measured?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is measured in watts (W) and is calculated by dividing work by time.

2. How is motion related to power?

Motion is the result of applying a force to an object, which requires power. The more power that is used, the greater the force and the faster the object will move.

3. What is the relationship between slopes and power?

Slopes are a measure of the steepness of a line or surface. In physics, slopes are often used to represent the rate of change of a quantity, such as velocity or acceleration. Therefore, the steeper the slope, the greater the rate of change and the more power is required.

4. How does power affect the speed of an object?

Power and speed are directly related. The more power that is applied to an object, the faster it will move. This is because more power results in a greater force, which can overcome any resistance and allow the object to move more quickly.

5. How does slope affect the amount of power needed for an object to move?

The steeper the slope, the more power is needed to overcome the increased resistance. This is because a steeper slope requires a greater force to be applied to the object, which in turn requires more power. On the other hand, a gentler slope requires less power as there is less resistance to overcome.