How much studying is enough for persuing TF

• Thread starter Phycisists
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, becoming a theoretical physicist is a long and challenging journey. It is recommended to start with an overview and focus on mastering mathematics. Self-study can only get you so far, so it is important to pursue a degree in physics in college. Additionally, there are various areas within physics to specialize in.
Phycisists
Hello everyone,

I'm 17 years old and I've recently quitted computer gaming and pursued a secondary interest which is physics in general (mostly Theoretical physics).

I'm studying 6-10 hours a day physics (if it is not a school day) and the particular book I'm using is including these chapters:

1. The physics world.
2. Phycisists view of the world.
3. Movement.
4. Newtons laws.
5. Energy.
6: A chapter about momentum and impulse laws.
7. Thermodynamics/thermophysics.
8. Climate and weather.
9. Electricity.
10. The modern physics progression.
11. Nuclear physics.
12. Relativity and the standardmodell.

My question is, is it worth studying these chapters? It's on a basic level as I'm currently in HS right now. Also is it enough to study 6-10 hours a day with physics? I really do want to become a theoretical phycisist. Or is it simply enough too little of study time?

I can rush through one chapter in maybe 12 - 20 hours, should I just buy a book about theoretical physics instead of working through this one or is it essential that I gather the superficial knowledge this one has to offer me (not very superficial as there's many complex questions)?

Also I do usually have trouble knowing the correct answer to a question so I look it through the internet to learn about it, is this a common problem for you? And how do I overcome that habit?

Sorry for bombarding this post with questions.

//DM

Physics news on Phys.org
Being a theoretical physicist is an awesome goal! I would say studying that much independently while still in high school is a great start and that the books you listed cover topics that you will need to master on your path towards your goal. Make sure to be studying lots of mathematics as well as physics!

You are 17 so I assume you will be starting your senior year of high school, you should start researching undergraduate universities with physics programs. I would recommend finding a school that emphasizes undergraduate research programs, as they are very helpful for getting into graduate school.

The main thing you need to realize is that the path to becoming a theoretical physicist is a long and challenging one. If you are completely knew to physics, you should definitely start off by studying Newtons laws and working out problems from a textbook. Once you master Calculus and Newtons laws you'll have completed the first step on your quest! Good luck!

Phycisists said:
Hello everyone,

I'm 17 years old and I've recently quitted computer gaming and pursued a secondary interest which is physics in general (mostly Theoretical physics).

I'm studying 6-10 hours a day physics (if it is not a school day) and the particular book I'm using is including these chapters:

1. The physics world.
2. Phycisists view of the world.
3. Movement.
4. Newtons laws.
5. Energy.
8. Climate and weather.
9. Electricity.
11. Nuclear physics.
12. Relativity and the standardmodell.

My question is, is it worth studying these chapters? It's on a basic level as I'm currently in HS right now. Also is it enough to study 6-10 hours a day with physics? I really do want to become a theoretical phycisist. Or is it simply enough too little of study time?

I can rush through one chapter in maybe 12 - 20 hours, should I just buy a book about theoretical physics instead of working through this one or is it essential that I gather the superficial knowledge this one has to offer me (not very superficial as there's many complex questions)?

Also I do usually have trouble knowing the correct answer to a question so I look it through the internet to learn about it, is this a common problem for you? And how do I overcome that habit?

Sorry for bombarding this post with questions.

//DM

What theoretical physics? The term itself means nothing without some context.

Studying 6-10 hours a day is a good way to burn yourself out. If you're up to speed on calculus you should look into the freshman calculus based physics series. Mechanics -> EM -> Modern.

Student100 said:
What theoretical physics? The term itself means nothing without some context.

Studying 6-10 hours a day is a good way to burn yourself out. If you're up to speed on calculus you should look into the freshman calculus based physics series. Mechanics -> EM -> Modern.

One is notburntout if it is done fore pleasure.

Hi Phycisists -

If you want to become a physicist, there is one sure path: study physics in college. Read Zapper's thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=240792

At your age, focus on math - especially algebra and trigonometry. Practice problems until you are really comfortable and competent.

Self-study is fine, but it will only get you so far, IMO. Good luck!

Phycisists said:

1. The physics world.
2. Physicists' view of the world.
3. Movement.
4. Newtons laws.
5. Energy.
8. Climate and weather.
9. Electricity.
11. Nuclear physics.
12. Relativity and the standard modell.
It's good to start with an overview, since physics is a broad field covering numerous natural phenomena.

One can be a theoretical, experimental and/or applied physicist in areas as diverse as astronomy and astrophysics, plasma physics, nuclear physics, high energy particle physics, quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, mechanics/dynamics, thermodynamics, hydrodynamics, optics (including lasers), electromagnetism, . . . .

Follow lisab's recommendation.

And browse PF.

Also, Hyperphysics (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hph.html) is a good reference, as are the two physics societies.

www.aip.org
www.aps.org

Related to How much studying is enough for persuing TF

1. How much time should I spend studying to pursue a career in TF?

The amount of time you should spend studying for TF depends on your individual learning style and the level of mastery you are aiming for. Generally, it is recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours per day studying for several months to gain a solid understanding of TF concepts.

2. Is there a specific amount of studying that guarantees success in pursuing TF?

No, there is no specific amount of studying that guarantees success. Success in pursuing TF also depends on other factors such as your dedication, passion, and ability to apply the concepts you have learned.

3. How often should I study for TF?

It is recommended to study for TF on a regular basis, preferably daily. This will help you retain the information better and make steady progress towards your goal. However, the frequency may vary depending on your schedule and other commitments.

4. How do I know if I have studied enough for pursuing TF?

If you feel confident in your understanding of TF concepts and can apply them in practical situations, then you have likely studied enough. You can also test your knowledge through practice questions or by seeking feedback from a mentor or teacher.

5. Are there any shortcuts for studying TF?

No, there are no shortcuts for studying TF. It requires consistent effort and dedication to fully grasp the concepts and be successful in pursuing it. However, you can make the studying process more efficient by breaking it down into smaller, manageable chunks and using effective study techniques.