How much time will it take to heat something up?

• Thread starter moonman239
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Time
In summary, the question asks how long it will take for steam to come out of a pot of water placed on a campfire. The pot is made of stainless steel and has specific dimensions. The outside temperature is 65 degrees and the water temperature is also 65 degrees. To accurately answer the question, one would need to calculate the heat transfer rate and consider factors such as wind. However, the best solution would be to conduct an experiment.
moonman239
Hey guys,

I have a question. Let's say I place a pot of water on top of a campfire. The pan is made of stainless steel. And, when placed on the ground, the pan reaches the average knee. The diameter of the pan equals the height of my chest. The thickness is negligible. The outside temperature is 65 degrees. The temperature of the water is also 65 degrees. How long will it take before I see steam coming out?

Science news on Phys.org
moonman239 said:
Hey guys,

I have a question. Let's say I place a pot of water on top of a campfire. The pan is made of stainless steel. And, when placed on the ground, the pan reaches the average knee. The diameter of the pan equals the height of my chest. The thickness is negligible. The outside temperature is 65 degrees. The temperature of the water is also 65 degrees. How long will it take before I see steam coming out?

Depends. How hot is the campfire? How big? What altitude are you at?

And what is the context of the question? You going to be cooking for a small army on your next camping trip? :biggrin:

berkeman said:
How hot is the campfire?
As hot as your average campfire.
berkeman said:
How big? What altitude are you at?
1) As big as your average campfire 2) 512 ft.

And what is the context of the question? You going to be cooking for a small army on your next camping trip? :biggrin:

Nope. A Boy Scout outing, if you must know.

I'll be more specific. Let's say the fire is 2,730 degrees Fahrenheit. As for how big it is, just pick a random number.

Okay, let's say the fire is a circle that is 6 feet in diameter.

If this is a real situation rather than a homework problem (where you can depreciate the very important wind factor), I suggest you do the experiment once.
If you just want to have a very rough guess then calculate the volume of water that can enter the pan. Depreciate totally the steel and its thermal conductivity (it's much lesser than the one of water and you don't want a good accuracy).
Have a guess on the NET amount of heat entering the system (only water) per second. Calculate how much net heat income you need to raise up water from 65 degrees to the boiling degree or any other degree you like such as the steam one. You could depreciate partially at least the heat transferred from the pan to the environment if you close the pan so that the water isn't exposed to the "cold" external air. For this, you need to know the mass of water inside the pan and the thermal conductivity of water. Use the formula [tex]\Delta Q = mc \Delta T[/tex].
Then computing how many seconds you need to reach the total heat required to raise the temperature is a piece of cake.
If you want an accurate prediction, the problem becomes much harder. I'd do the experiment rather than trying to guess many data that might be totally different from the ones guessed when you're doing the experiment.

@fluidistic:

Thank you for answering my question!

moonman239 said:
Hey guys,

To solve this problem, you should calculate heat transfer rate.
First, you calculate the temperature of the fire.
And, calculate a total heat transfer coefficient, but this step is not easy because the system is not ideal.
And , calculate the heat capacity of the port and water.
Finally you establish heat transfer differential equations of the system.
And solve the problem. This problem is non-steady state heat transfer equation.

daumphys said:
To solve this problem, you should calculate heat transfer rate.
First, you calculate the temperature of the fire.
And, calculate a total heat transfer coefficient, but this step is not easy because the system is not ideal.
And , calculate the heat capacity of the port and water.
Finally you establish heat transfer differential equations of the system.
And solve the problem. This problem is non-steady state heat transfer equation.

My question has already been solved.

@fluidistic:

If I needed to factor in wind, how would I do that?

moonman239 said:
@fluidistic:

If I needed to factor in wind, how would I do that?

The wind would cool down the pan so that the net heat transfer into the pan would be less than simply the heat incoming from the fire. That's why if you could close the pan the wind wouldn't affect that much, for a not very accurate result.
About what daumphys said, I think he meant "check out the heat capacity of water and the port in a book" rather than calculate. But I'm not sure his way of solving the problem would be realistic either due to the estimation rather than calculation of the net heat transfer into the system.
That's why (if it isn't homework) if you want an accurate answer, the best thing to do is to do the experiment. This is by far the best thing to do in my opinion.
Sometimes when the problem is too complex (too many unknown variables) and you have the opportunity to run the experiment for a very low cost, it's better to let the universe solve it for you. Faster and more accurate than any result you could have calculated.

fluidistic said:
(if it isn't homework) if you want an accurate answer, the best thing to do is to do the experiment. This is by far the best thing to do in my opinion.
Sometimes when the problem is too complex (too many unknown variables) and you have the opportunity to run the experiment for a very low cost, it's better to let the universe solve it for you. Faster and more accurate than any result you could have calculated.

It's not homework. I actually knew there was an equation I could use. What do you mean by "unknown variables?"

moonman239 said:
It's not homework. I actually knew there was an equation I could use. What do you mean by "unknown variables?"

Wind speed, temperature, pressure, humidity of air for example. If you want an accurate result you'd have to take all these into accounts and probably much more. That's why I say it's better to do the experiment if you want to have an accurate result.

1. How does the heating source affect the time it takes to heat something up?

The heating source can greatly affect the time it takes to heat something up. For example, a gas stove will heat something up faster than an electric stove because gas produces more heat. Similarly, a microwave will heat something up faster than an oven because microwaves target and heat the molecules directly, whereas an oven heats the surrounding air.

2. What role does the material of the object being heated play in the heating time?

The material of the object being heated can significantly impact the heating time. Objects with a high thermal conductivity, such as metals, will heat up faster than objects with a low thermal conductivity, such as plastics. This is because materials with high thermal conductivity can efficiently transfer heat throughout the object, resulting in a faster heating process.

3. How does the size and shape of the object affect the heating time?

The size and shape of the object being heated can also affect the heating time. Objects with a larger surface area will heat up faster because there is more surface area for the heat to transfer to. Additionally, objects with a smaller volume will heat up faster because there is less mass to heat.

4. Does the starting temperature of the object impact the heating time?

Yes, the starting temperature of the object does play a role in the heating time. Objects at room temperature will heat up faster than objects that are already warm because there is a greater temperature difference between the object and the heat source. However, once an object reaches a certain temperature, the heating process may slow down due to the object's internal energy and insulation properties.

5. Is there a specific formula or equation to calculate the time it takes to heat something up?

There are several equations and formulas that can be used to calculate the time it takes to heat something up, depending on the specific circumstances. These may include the specific heat capacity of the material, the heat transfer coefficient, and the heat source's power output. It is important to consider all these factors and use the appropriate equations to accurately calculate the heating time.