Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How often do you eat meat?

1. never

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. 1-2 per week

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. 3-4 per week

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  4. 5-6 per week

21 vote(s)
    33.9%
  5. always

22 vote(s)
    35.5%
  1. Jan 12, 2005 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How much does meat play a part in your diner?

Do you think a diner can not be served without meat, or that you'd be able to adept a vegetarian diet?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2005 #2
    I chose 3-4 per week option. Meat can be found in one form or another in my diet.

What do you mean by suffering? Dont the animals suffer when another animal kills them for food? Thats the way of life and I see no reason why a person should give up eating meat(unless its for medical reasons that is).

4. Jan 12, 2005 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Most days of the week I eat cereals, cheese, and salads. Once or twice a week I have dinner with my daughter and order meat, usually a steak, prime rib, or pot roast.

5. Jan 12, 2005 #4

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Well, I'd hope they would make sure it was dead first. :biggrin:

To be more serious, when I was younger I was around farm life often and I'd say the animals were butchered humanely, and usually with less suffering than when another animal kills them as prey. And until their slaughter, they led a pretty luxurious life.

My first reason for quitting meat back in 1972 was for health. I am soooooo glad I did. But I also was feeling I didn't want to be part of the violence it takes to kill. It seemed to make me less consciously sensitive, as did eating meat. So I'd have to say that my main reasons for not eating it are out of self interest.

If the meat industry didn't treat animals so horrendously, I don't think I'd see a problem with killing animals for food since that is how nature itself is set up. I do eat dairy products, and there is a concern there too about animal cruelty. Self interest is still a priority for me, so I make sure it is organic to avoid the hormones and antibiotics they give dairy cows, and the pesticides in the grains they feed them. But a dairy available here also makes sure the cows have a decent life by letting them graze outside, etc. So I support that dairy because I don't want animals to suffer.

Once one learns some basic dietary and gourmet cooking principles, there's nothing to it. I have a lot of meat-eating friends who claim to love my cooking. I've heard them say many times they don't even notice the lack of meat. Of course when I am at their house and they've got the barbie going, it's quite the spectacle to me. I usually tolerate the smells okay but I have a hard time watching them chow down on a carcass and stuff dead rotting flesh into their bodies. :yuck:

6. Jan 12, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I said 5 to 6 dinners per week. But, unlike many Americans, that doesn't mean sitting down to half a cow, it might mean one chicken leg, or a small piece of beef. If I skip having meat, then it some other dairy product or eggs that provides a source of protein and fat.

I've always known meat comes from animals, I wasn't one of those kids raised oblivious to this seemingly obvious fact. I don't know what you imply when you say people disregard the suffering of the animal; well, no, I do know what you imply, but don't like the way its phrased, that assumes the animals are suffering, and that eating meat requires animal suffering. No matter what PC arguments people use, humans are still omnivores and intended to eat meat. I don't think people who eat meat are "focused" on meat, it's just a normal part of our diets. And I don't think satisfying nutritional requirements is strange. If you choose to eat a vegetarian diet, go ahead and do so, but if your argument is animal suffering, keep in mind all those crops are displacing animals from their natural environment, pumping pesticides and fertilizers into the environment, killing off tons of insects and other invertebrates (maybe they don't count since they aren't cute and furry). There are a lot of people on the planet, we need food, there is no way to provide that much food without having an impact on the environment.

7. Jan 12, 2005 #6
    Of course, but animals were put on earth for a purpose -- to be eaten (some of them at least).
    I don't understand vegetarians.

8. Jan 12, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's nothing challenging to understand there. As I mentioned, humans are omnivores. You can satisfy your nutritional requirements with a vegetarian diet as well as with a diet including meat, and if that's your preference, that's fine. However, what I don't like is when vegetarians fling around a high-and-mighty attitude that their diet is better for the planet than a meat-containing diet, when that's just not true. The impacts are different, but real nonetheless. And it's no better when meat-eaters fling around an attitude that animals were put on the planet just for them to eat. Neither argument holds up. Go with your own preferences. What's the most natural diet that has the least damage to the environment? The one that allows lots of humans to starve to death. I think we've already decided to avoid what nature recommends.

9. Jan 12, 2005 #8
    *wipes face* I am eating meat as I type this :smile:

10. Jan 12, 2005 #9
    I eat meat 14 times a week. Lunch and dinner, (never for breakfast). Am I an animal?

11. Jan 12, 2005 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I choose "always" - I almost never have a dinner without meat.

Most of this is a discussion for the "other" thread, but real quick:
    I don't eat veal - most, if not all, veal comes from mistreated calves. Other cattle are generally a different story. Fish are a non-issue since most are caught wild. Chickens are probably the toughest, because the worst treatment is of those that are used to make eggs.
    I think I could adapt to a vegitarian diet if I absolutely had to. But I wouldn't do it by choice.

12. Jan 12, 2005 #11
    Well, I hate "vegeterians"!!!

13. Jan 12, 2005 #12

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

:cry: Well, meat eaters stink!

14. Jan 12, 2005 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rolleyes: why would you hate vegetarians

And Moonbear, I don't mean to say that meat-eaters are bad. I mean to say that factory meat should not be in our diet: animals that grow up in steal cages where they can't move an inch. How would one know that the meat on your plate is not of that origin?

And who says eating meat should be given up entirely. Moderation is the key I'm looking for, together with creativity. I stopped eating meat in my diner completely and I haven't missed it a day, there are just too many other options :blushing:

15. Jan 12, 2005 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and I think restaurants should be cathering more towards vegetarians.. often there is not a single dish on the menu vegetarian.. what's that all about? :bugeye:

16. Jan 12, 2005 #15

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

I agree with you about the "high-and-mighty attitude" thing; besides, humanity has far more serious issues to worry about.

However, I have to disagree with you about both the cruelty and the impact to Earth from meat eating versus that of plant eating. It is unbearable to see what animals go through to become food, and the scale of it is gruesome too. I suspect that one involved in mass slaughter has to desensitize to be able to ignore the animals' plight. . . sort of just see them as a hunk of meat without feelings. If animals were given a comfortable life and a compassionate death I don't see how animal lovers could object (given that nature is set up for killing and eating animals). It would then be just a personal matter.

In terms of the impact on the planet, it takes a lot more grain to fatten a cow than it does to just eat the grain, about 40 times more (i.e., 40 pounds of grain produce one pound of meat). So the impact on the environment is significantly greater.

17. Jan 12, 2005 #16

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Vegetarians . . . the new oppressed class. :frown: I think we need our rights preserved with anti-discrimination laws, protection from hate crimes (like meat-eaters secretly spiking the soup with chicken broth,etc.), and a tax break because it costs more to eat healthy (due to lack of mass production).

18. Jan 12, 2005 #17

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Because, except for chicken, that makes up a relatively small fraction of the meat people eat. I prefer beef anyway. :biggrin:
    Do I need to say that dirty word? Capitalism!

19. Jan 12, 2005 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My lunch almost always involves meat - I eat lunch out, everyday :eek: - but dinner, rarely.

20. Jan 12, 2005 #19

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hope you're not serious. :tongue2: A restaurant should be able to serve whatever its owners choose to serve. You might as well sue a felafel place for not serving meat, or a hardware store for not having the type of tool you need, or something equally ludicrous.

If anything, the onus is on the vegetarian to check the menu and make sure the restaurant in question is suitable for him/her. Failing that, hey, there's always the bread, and that's free! (Personally, I feel greatly discriminated against that restaurants never offer free meat-based appetizers.)

21. Jan 12, 2005 #20

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"40 pounds?" This fabrication has to contribute enormously to the disdain, scorn, lack of respect the world exhibits toward "vegans." From new calf to slaughterhouse takes 2-3 yrs --- mammals go through 3-10 times their body mass per yr --- an exclusive grain diet for cattle? Call the vet.

The "40" is "8" in DD's thread in "values" --- possible for Kobe beef --- but not a generally credible figure for the beef industry. Hyperbole ("hype" for short) is great for politicians, used car salesmen, hucksters, flim-flammers, and other frauds, but don't expect to be taken seriously when you quote numbers from sources that just make them up for the occasion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?