How Powerful Should My Compressor Be for a 3L/Day Atmospheric Water Generator?

In summary, Ronnie suggests using the Ideal reverse Carnot cycle to calculate the power requirements of a compressor. Salman provides a link to a number of resources that can help with the project.
salmansl
I'm working on a project to design Atmospheric Water Generator, to generate 3 litres of water per day. and I'm using the same concept as dehumidifier.
My problem is I want to figure out how powerful my compressor should be. I need to calculate that, given a heat flow rate of 352.91 kJ/hour. Anyone can lead me to the right direction.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a lot of things to learn first
  • Specific Heat Capacity of Air
  • RH%
  • mass rate, etc.
  • Psychometric Chart
  • Compressors
  • Motors
  • Air conditioning
  • Thermodynamics
Given that you ask the forum on this, I assume you have no background and enough knowledge to tackle this problem.
Safety first, though common sense dictates. It is important that you and the life and risk of other people and damages on property are well anticipated from trials and experiments unmitigated by the appropriate knowledge and practice.

One thing, I could advice on you: get a proper degree in mechanical engineering and get a license after or simply consult a professional and let him do this job for you.

Likes salmansl
The other option is to search for the ratings of existing products.

Likes salmansl
Thanks for the reply, I'm doing a mechanical engineering degree, and this is a project I'm working on. I'm not concerned in assembling different parts together and coming up with result, but justifying why each component and calculating design numbers of each component. My problem is with the compressor. How do you calculate the power output, of a semi hermetically sealed compressor

What year are you in the degree of ME?
3337_fig-2-5-2.jpg
Did your professor not taught you this?

Likes russ_watters
3rd year, I studied it, in my first year thermodynamics. Don't remember much about it now

Agreed. If you've already taken your first thermodynamics course, you should be able to diagram out the cycle and calculate every aspect of the performance.

salmansl said:
3rd year, I studied it, in my first year thermodynamics. Don't remember much about it now
That's a really serious problem. How can you expect to have a 30 year engineering career if you can't remember/apply what you learned two years ago?

You need to dig out your thermodynamics book from two years ago (I keep mine at my desk) and re-learn and start applying the stuff. We can help you along the way, but we can't do this project for you!

russ_watters said:
That's a really serious problem. How can you expect to have a 30 year engineering career if you can't remember/apply what you learned two years ago?

You need to dig out your thermodynamics book from two years ago (I keep mine at my desk) and re-learn and start applying the stuff. We can help you along the way, but we can't do this project for you!
I'm not asking you to do my project for me. Just asking for a point to the right direction.

salmansl said:
You better not remember it, but internalized everything you can. Mechanical Engineering is the most practical and easy to appreciate field among the engineering discipline, because it deals with macroscopic dynamic of things.

It is time for you to learn something new or review the past topics by research first and then query.
This is included in your Thermodynamics II.

I am afraid, that's the only point I can help you by now, answering in a forum is quite a hassle - I think you need a lecture not a Q&A session

See or search :
  • Reverse Carnot Cycle (Ideal) or Refrigeration/Vapor Cycle

salmansl said:
I'm not asking you to do my project for me. Just asking for a point to the right direction.
Ronnie's post #5 provides an excellent starting point. Take a shot at it.

russ_watters said:
Ronnie's post #5 provides an excellent starting point. Take a shot at it.
Yeah I will, and thanks a lot to both of you.

Likes Ronie Bayron
salmansl said:
Yeah I will, and thanks a lot to both of you.
No problem, salmansl. You could see youtube, there's a lot of tutorials/refresher posted on this topics by now. Nowadays, learning is an easy thing, just a matter of initiative.
I see you have initiative and perseverance, I'm pretty sure you could get it done.

Last edited:
Likes salmansl and russ_watters
You're welcome. We'll certainly be able to provide more specific help as you get into it. An additional hint though: I'm not sure where you got the 353 kJ/hr, but in real world engineering, establishing the design conditions/constraints is a significant part of the design process.

Likes salmansl

1. What is a dehumidifier compressor?

A dehumidifier compressor is a mechanical device that is responsible for removing excess moisture from the air. It compresses the air, which causes it to condense and release moisture, which is then collected and drained from the dehumidifier.

2. How does a dehumidifier compressor work?

A dehumidifier compressor works by pulling in moist air from the surrounding environment and compressing it using a motor and pump. This compression process causes the air to cool down and release moisture, which is then collected in a reservoir or drained out of the dehumidifier.

3. What are the common types of dehumidifier compressors?

The most common types of dehumidifier compressors are reciprocating compressors, rotary compressors, and scroll compressors. Reciprocating compressors use pistons to compress the air, while rotary compressors use rotating blades. Scroll compressors use a scroll-shaped mechanism to compress the air.

4. How do I maintain my dehumidifier compressor?

To maintain your dehumidifier compressor, it is important to regularly clean or replace the air filter, clean the coils, and empty the water reservoir. It is also recommended to have a professional service the compressor every few years to ensure it is working efficiently.

5. What are the signs of a faulty dehumidifier compressor?

The signs of a faulty dehumidifier compressor may include the dehumidifier not removing moisture effectively, loud noises coming from the compressor, or the dehumidifier not turning on at all. If you suspect your dehumidifier compressor is faulty, it is best to have it checked and repaired by a professional.