How Riemann hypothesis would break internet security?

In summary: So the internet is safe, in that sense.In summary, the TV show Numb3rs mentioned the possibility of the Riemann hypothesis breaking all internet security, but in reality, this is just a modern day math old-wives tale. The hypothesis has not been proven, but even if it were, it would not affect the security of the internet. The connection between prime numbers and the zeros of the zeta function is not relevant to the security systems used today.
Avichal
I saw this in one of the episodes of Numb3rs - (a T.V. show that describes how math can be used to solve crimes)
It basically said that if Riemann hypothesis is true then it could break all the internet security. I want to know how.
I couldn't understand Riemann hypothesis from Wikipedia and other sources so don't throw all the math at me.

P.S. :- I don't know under which forum this thread belongs. I couldn't find a number theory forum

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Avichal said:
I saw this in one of the episodes of Numb3rs - (a T.V. show that describes how math can be used to solve crimes)
It basically said that if Riemann hypothesis is true then it could break all the internet security. I want to know how.
I couldn't understand Riemann hypothesis from Wikipedia and other sources so don't throw all the math at me.

P.S. :- I don't know under which forum this thread belongs. I couldn't find a number theory forum

It's a TV show. For all practical purposes, the Riemann hypothesis IS true. It just hasn't been proved to be. There are computers out there trying to falsify it 24/7, and they haven't succeeded yet.

So if it could break internet security, that would have been done a long time ago.

FredericGos said:
It's a TV show. For all practical purposes, the Riemann hypothesis IS true. It just hasn't been proved to be. There are computers out there trying to falsify it 24/7, and they haven't succeeded yet.

So if it could break internet security, that would have been done a long time ago.

Ah, why would they show such a thing? I got so excited!
Yes if it was true then it would have been broken a long time ago ... didn't think of that

Avichal said:
Ah, why would they show such a thing? I got so excited!

Because it sounds cool. ;)

Avichal said:

I believe this is a modern day math old-wives tale. It stems from the (beautiful) connection between prime numbers and the zeros of the zeta function:

[tex]\psi(x)=-\frac{1}{2\pi i} \mathop\int\limits_{\gamma-i\infty}^{\gamma+i\infty} \frac{\zeta'(s)}{\zeta(s)}\frac{x^s}{s} ds[/tex]

That's primes on the left and zeros on the right. Riemann conjectured that the conjugate zeros of the zeta function all have real part equal to 1/2 (Re(z)=1/2).

Now, one of the most hack-proof security systems used today on computers relies on the RSA algorithm which involves factoring very large numbers: if you know the prime factors, you can compute the number but if you know only the number, very hard to find it's factors if it's a product of two very large primes.

So that if the Riemann hypothesis is proven, someone will have shown indeed the conjugate zeros are all on the line Re(z)=1/2. However, this information will do nothing towards finding the prime factors of an RSA number.

Last edited:

FAQ: How Riemann hypothesis would break internet security?

1. How does the Riemann hypothesis relate to internet security?

The Riemann hypothesis is a mathematical conjecture about the distribution of prime numbers. While it may seem unrelated to internet security, it is actually a crucial component in many encryption algorithms used to protect sensitive information online. Breaking the Riemann hypothesis would have significant implications for the security of these algorithms and the protection of data on the internet.

2. What is the connection between prime numbers and internet security?

Prime numbers are the building blocks of many encryption algorithms, including the widely used RSA algorithm. These algorithms rely on the fact that it is extremely difficult to factor large numbers into their prime components. The Riemann hypothesis, if proven true, would provide a deeper understanding of the distribution of prime numbers and potentially make it easier to factor large numbers, compromising the security of these algorithms.

3. How would breaking the Riemann hypothesis affect internet users?

If the Riemann hypothesis is proven false, it could lead to the development of more efficient factoring algorithms, making it easier to break encryption codes and access sensitive information online. This could result in a major security breach, putting internet users' personal and financial information at risk.

4. What steps are being taken to protect internet security in light of the Riemann hypothesis?

Researchers in the fields of mathematics and computer science are constantly working to improve and strengthen encryption algorithms in the face of evolving threats. This includes developing new algorithms that are not based on the Riemann hypothesis and regularly updating and patching existing systems to stay ahead of potential vulnerabilities.

5. Is the Riemann hypothesis the only potential threat to internet security?

No, there are many other factors that can impact internet security, such as the development of quantum computers, advances in artificial intelligence, and human error. However, the Riemann hypothesis is a significant concern because it has the potential to compromise the security of widely used encryption algorithms and affect a large portion of internet users.

Back