Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How should we punish RAPISTS?

1. Sep 29, 2004 #1
    Our malaysia parliament had proposed the following penalties to rapists on top of jail:

1) Caned in the public
    2) Castration, remove his genital :cry:

Our women's bodies fully support these proposals, they said that these penalties will effectively curb raping.

:eek:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2004 #2
    The rapists who did INCEST will be punished more severely, we proposed Whole Life Jail + public caning + castration ,

there are many malay and indian fathers raping own daughters until pregnant and give birth to infirmity children, that kind of father always threatens his daughters not to expose his evil deed or he will kill them.
    Quite often there are cases father forces his daughters to do oral/anal sex with him. Terrible!

4. Sep 29, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bad idea. I think you need a case by case penalty assessment...but I'm sure that's not your cup of tea.

5. Sep 29, 2004 #4
    these types of ANIMAL fathers did what is not even done by beast, they deserve severe punishment

6. Sep 29, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So... once again, let me get this straight.

• A man who repeatedly rapes his daughters, eventually resulting in pregnancy and sick infants, gets caned in public, or castrated, or perhaps life in jail.
    • The person who brings a thimble-full of heroin into the country gets killed.

Gee, your country is really one screwed up place. Remind me to never visit.

- Warren

7. Sep 29, 2004 #6
    We are Civilised enough to practise justice!
    No drug No rape!
    Not like you, agree with all kinds of immorality!
    SHAME

8. Sep 29, 2004 #7
    You make comedy look easy!

9. Sep 29, 2004 #8
    As Gokul43201 said, I think each case should be considered individually. However, in some cases, I think that public caning, castration and jail time is a reasonable and fair penalty for the crime.

Some in the US might consider that cruel and/or unusual punishment, but when you consider the emotional and physical harm inflicted on the victim, I consider it justice. The crime has probably ruined sex as an enjoyable occurance for the victim and in many cases physically harmed their sex organs, so the punishment fits the crime. The caning would give the offender a taste of the shame, degradation and helpless feeling felt by their victim.

It may also act as a deterent to others witnessing the punishment, but then again, jail time and threat of execution should be a deterent in crimes such as murder, but does not seems to be.

10. Sep 29, 2004 #9
    Ah yes, punishing people. Always been one of mankind's favourite past times.

I disagree, I can't remember the last time I heard of a senseless killing (but then im in canada). only when conditions were very extreme or the killers were mentally ill. Threats don't help then.

11. Sep 29, 2004 #10
    Little clip from a report on the effects of the death penalty in deterring murderers.
    Death Penalty as Crime Deterent

12. Sep 29, 2004 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just Google "dna pardon rape" to see why rape cases are not as cut and dried as Saint believes.

An aside : What's common to all of the following countries (and no others) ?

Bangladesh, Belarus, Botswana, Chad, China, Congo, Cuba, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, North Korea, Kuwait, Malaysia, Mongolia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Somalia, Sudan, Taiwan, Thailand, Uganda,
    United States of America, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  13. Sep 29, 2004 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Assuming life in prison in Malaysia really means for the rest of your life, not like in the US where it means maybe 12 years until they let you out on parole, then why add the caning and castration? Chemical castration is used in the US for those released from prison as a way of preventing them from physically being able to commit the act again. It has been thought that reducing the testosterone levels would also reduce their urge to commit these acts as well. However, I saw a poster at a conference last year (don't know if it's published yet), where they were studying pedophiles who had been chemically castrated to determine if they really did stop having urges or if it was just preventing them from becoming physically aroused. From the results they had at the time of the conference, it looked like the urges had not been prevented at all, or very minimally. (As a similar phenomenon, consider the behavior of a male dog castrated in adulthood rather than as a puppy...they will still attempt to mate with other dogs despite lacking testes). The danger is that there are other ways to sexually abuse someone other than with a penis, and there is no "cure" for offenders. It may just give people a false sense of security to castrate sexual offenders, either chemically or surgically, so that becomes more of an uncivilized seeking of revenge more than an effective punishment. The hope for castration was not to do it as punishment, but to make it safe for these offenders to be released from prison to become productive members of society again. If it is not safe for these people to return to society, then locking them in prison for life, or in a high security mental institution...I don't care which...seems the only option.

And, I have to agree, the penalties don't seem to fit the crimes, even on a relative scale. A violent person (rapist) is allowed to live, while someone just trying to escape reality for a while with the aid of some white powder gets a death sentence. That seems really backward.

14. Sep 29, 2004 #13
    I read somewhere that eunuchs can make and sustain erections for very long periods of time. So, if the person was castrated by traditional means, rape with penetration could still be possible. However, there is also the fact that castration makes the possibility of pregnancy very unlikely from an attack (I'm not sure about sterilization using chemical castration).

15. Sep 29, 2004 #14

pig

What?? Are you serious? Is this voluntary or forced?

16. Sep 29, 2004 #15
    I'm guessing public executions?

17. Sep 29, 2004 #16

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you missed my point. (Gee, was that unexpected?)

My point is that your punishments for a father literally completely destroying his daughter's mental and physical well-being for life warrants a punishment less severe than someone having a small quantity of a drug.

Most sane people would argue that rape, a violent crime, should come with a higher penalty than narcotics possession, a non-violent crime.

For the record, Americans don't agree with all kinds immorality. What do you think? Do you think raping your daughter and shooting up heroin are legal in the US? :rofl:

- Warren

18. Sep 29, 2004 #17
    Civilised? Please.

There is no civility in public executions, a legal system based on ‘guilty until proven innocent’ or mutilation as punishment.

19. Sep 29, 2004 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Voluntary. Usually as a condition for early parole.

20. Sep 29, 2004 #19
    our severe punishment on having drugs serves as an intimidation on people who plan to trade drugs!
    nip it in the bud!

21. Sep 29, 2004 #20

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yet your less severe punishment for child-rapers indicates that your society feels drug trafficking is a bigger crime than child-raping. This frankly bothers me, and I hope I'm not alone.

Of course, I am aware that many cultures, particularly Asian cultures, place less value on human life than we do in western cultures. It still bothers me.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?