Can Public Caning and Castration Effectively Curb Rape in Malaysia?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary: So, while I support the idea of chemical castration for those who have already been convicted of a sexual offense, I do not support caning and castration as a punishment for rape. In summary, Malaysia proposed caning, castration, and life in prison for rapists, as well as harsher penalties for those who commit incest. There are many fathers in Malaysia and India who rape their own daughters, often with disastrous consequences, and these fathers should be punished more severely. I disagree with the idea of caning and castration as punishment for rape, as they do not seem to be particularly effective in deterring criminals. However, I do think that life in prison and harsher penalties for those who commit
Saint
Our malaysia parliament had proposed the following penalties to rapists on top of jail:

1) Caned in the public
2) Castration, remove his genital :cry:

Our women's bodies fully support these proposals, they said that these penalties will effectively curb raping.

:eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
The rapists who did INCEST will be punished more severely, we proposed Whole Life Jail + public caning + castration ,

there are many malay and indian fathers raping own daughters until pregnant and give birth to infirmity children, that kind of father always threatens his daughters not to expose his evil deed or he will kill them.
Quite often there are cases father forces his daughters to do oral/anal sex with him. Terrible!

Bad idea. I think you need a case by case penalty assessment...but I'm sure that's not your cup of tea.

these types of ANIMAL fathers did what is not even done by beast, they deserve severe punishment

So... once again, let me get this straight.

• A man who repeatedly rapes his daughters, eventually resulting in pregnancy and sick infants, gets caned in public, or castrated, or perhaps life in jail.
  • The person who brings a thimble-full of heroin into the country gets killed.

Gee, your country is really one screwed up place. Remind me to never visit.

- Warren

We are Civilised enough to practise justice!
No drug No rape!
Not like you, agree with all kinds of immorality!
SHAME

You make comedy look easy!

As Gokul43201 said, I think each case should be considered individually. However, in some cases, I think that public caning, castration and jail time is a reasonable and fair penalty for the crime.

Some in the US might consider that cruel and/or unusual punishment, but when you consider the emotional and physical harm inflicted on the victim, I consider it justice. The crime has probably ruined sex as an enjoyable occurance for the victim and in many cases physically harmed their sex organs, so the punishment fits the crime. The caning would give the offender a taste of the shame, degradation and helpless feeling felt by their victim.

It may also act as a deterent to others witnessing the punishment, but then again, jail time and threat of execution should be a deterent in crimes such as murder, but does not seems to be.

Ah yes, punishing people. Always been one of mankind's favourite past times.

Artman said:
It may also act as a deterent to others witnessing the punishment, but then again, jail time and threat of execution should be a deterent in crimes such as murder, but does not seems to be.
I disagree, I can't remember the last time I heard of a senseless killing (but then I am in Canada). only when conditions were very extreme or the killers were mentally ill. Threats don't help then.

Smurf said:
Ah yes, punishing people. Always been one of mankind's favourite past times.

I disagree, I can't remember the last time I heard of a senseless killing (but then I am in Canada). only when conditions were very extreme or the killers were mentally ill. Threats don't help then.
Little clip from a report on the effects of the death penalty in deterring murderers.
According to the FBI's Preliminary Uniform Crime Report for 2002, the murder rate in the South increased by 2.1% while the murder rate in the Northeast decreased by almost 5%. The South accounts for 82% of all executions since 1976; the Northeast accounts for less than 1%. Read the report. (FBI Preliminary Uniform Crime Report 2002, June 16, 2003).
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=12&did=167

Just Google "dna pardon rape" to see why rape cases are not as cut and dried as Saint believes.

An aside : What's common to all of the following countries (and no others) ?

Bangladesh, Belarus, Botswana, Chad, China, Congo, Cuba, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, North Korea, Kuwait, Malaysia, Mongolia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Somalia, Sudan, Taiwan, Thailand, Uganda,
United States of America, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Last edited:
Assuming life in prison in Malaysia really means for the rest of your life, not like in the US where it means maybe 12 years until they let you out on parole, then why add the caning and castration? Chemical castration is used in the US for those released from prison as a way of preventing them from physically being able to commit the act again. It has been thought that reducing the testosterone levels would also reduce their urge to commit these acts as well. However, I saw a poster at a conference last year (don't know if it's published yet), where they were studying pedophiles who had been chemically castrated to determine if they really did stop having urges or if it was just preventing them from becoming physically aroused. From the results they had at the time of the conference, it looked like the urges had not been prevented at all, or very minimally. (As a similar phenomenon, consider the behavior of a male dog castrated in adulthood rather than as a puppy...they will still attempt to mate with other dogs despite lacking testes). The danger is that there are other ways to sexually abuse someone other than with a penis, and there is no "cure" for offenders. It may just give people a false sense of security to castrate sexual offenders, either chemically or surgically, so that becomes more of an uncivilized seeking of revenge more than an effective punishment. The hope for castration was not to do it as punishment, but to make it safe for these offenders to be released from prison to become productive members of society again. If it is not safe for these people to return to society, then locking them in prison for life, or in a high security mental institution...I don't care which...seems the only option.

And, I have to agree, the penalties don't seem to fit the crimes, even on a relative scale. A violent person (rapist) is allowed to live, while someone just trying to escape reality for a while with the aid of some white powder gets a death sentence. That seems really backward.

Moonbear said:
...It may just give people a false sense of security to castrate sexual offenders, either chemically or surgically, so that becomes more of an uncivilized seeking of revenge more than an effective punishment. The hope for castration was not to do it as punishment, but to make it safe for these offenders to be released from prison to become productive members of society again...
I read somewhere that eunuchs can make and sustain erections for very long periods of time. So, if the person was castrated by traditional means, rape with penetration could still be possible. However, there is also the fact that castration makes the possibility of pregnancy very unlikely from an attack (I'm not sure about sterilization using chemical castration).

Moonbear said:
Chemical castration is used in the US for those released from prison as a way of preventing them from physically being able to commit the act again.

What?? Are you serious? Is this voluntary or forced?

Gokul43201 said:
An aside : What's common to all of the following countries (and no others) ?

Bangladesh, Belarus, Botswana, Chad, China, Congo, Cuba, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, North Korea, Kuwait, Malaysia, Mongolia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Somalia, Sudan, Taiwan, Thailand, Uganda,
United States of America, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

I'm guessing public executions?

Saint said:
No drug No rape!
SHAME
I think you missed my point. (Gee, was that unexpected?)

My point is that your punishments for a father literally completely destroying his daughter's mental and physical well-being for life warrants a punishment less severe than someone having a small quantity of a drug.

Most sane people would argue that rape, a violent crime, should come with a higher penalty than narcotics possession, a non-violent crime.

For the record, Americans don't agree with all kinds immorality. What do you think? Do you think raping your daughter and shooting up heroin are legal in the US? :rofl:

- Warren

Saint said:
No drug No rape!
SHAME

Civilised? Please.

There is no civility in public executions, a legal system based on ‘guilty until proven innocent’ or mutilation as punishment.

pig said:
What?? Are you serious? Is this voluntary or forced?

Voluntary. Usually as a condition for early parole.

our severe punishment on having drugs serves as an intimidation on people who plan to trade drugs!
nip it in the bud!

Saint said:
our severe punishment on having drugs serves as an intimidation on people who plan to trade drugs!
nip it in the bud!
Yet your less severe punishment for child-rapers indicates that your society feels drug trafficking is a bigger crime than child-raping. This frankly bothers me, and I hope I'm not alone.

Of course, I am aware that many cultures, particularly Asian cultures, place less value on human life than we do in western cultures. It still bothers me.

- Warren

chroot said:
Yet your less severe punishment for child-rapers indicates that your society feels drug trafficking is a bigger crime than child-raping. This frankly bothers me, and I hope I'm not alone.

Of course, I am aware that many cultures, particularly Asian cultures, place less value on human life than we do in western cultures. It still bothers me.

- Warren

This puzzles me too...unless swift death is considered a lesser punishment than having to spend an entire lifetime in prison with no genitals. Maybe being raped by other inmates is a harsher punishment than death. I've heard the same argument before for life in prison vs death penalty...that death is a quick end (i.e., no suffering), easier than having to suffer in prison for your crimes. I'm just making a mental note to never travel to Malaysia. Isn't that where some American kid who shoplifted something made international news because he was sentenced to public caning as his punishment?

chroot said:
So... once again, let me get this straight.

• A man who repeatedly rapes his daughters, eventually resulting in pregnancy and sick infants, gets caned in public, or castrated, or perhaps life in jail.
  • The person who brings a thimble-full of heroin into the country gets killed.

Gee, your country is really one screwed up place. Remind me to never visit.
:biggrin:

Why not just rape rapists?

Now we know why Malaysia has such a poor tourist industry.

Rape is an extremely violent crime, and, in my opinion, deserves to be punished with a very long jail term. In a recent case in my country, a home, inhabited by a teenaged girl and her parents, was invaded by 4 men, who each proceeded to rape the girl repeatedly in front of her tied-up parents. Imagine the anguish and suffering that these 3 family members will have to go through for the rest of their lives. You can't -- it's a bottomless pit. As far as I'm concerned, the men deserve life without parole.

Punishing drug traffickers as severely or more severely than rapists is evidence of a society with very skewed values.

Don't you folks get all afraid of Malaysia because of their laws...unless of course, you plan on getting high there or kidnapping someone, 'cause that'll be the death of you.

I've been there a couple of times, and it's a beautiful place - definitely worth visiting.

Smurf said:
Now we know why Malaysia has such a poor tourist industry.

Wrong, we have increasing number of tourists from China,
chinese are safe to move around in this world, not like the American white people, subject to terrorist attack anytime, you have created too many enemies ! :yuck:

Gokul , where do you download our penal code?

Saint said:
Wrong, we have increasing number of tourists from China,
chinese are safe to move around in this world, not like the American white people, subject to terrorist attack anytime, you have created too many enemies ! :yuck:
I have to say you're an idiot, Saint. At the very least you're an insane bigot.

Terrorists have attacked in Russia, France, Spain, Turkey, England, and many, many other countries. We are not the only society under attack. It should be noted that the US has historically had one of the most open immigration policies in the world.

- Warren

Chroot is right, the USA has not been under neraly as much violent attack as other places in the world. But its also thru that they are generally disliked in most places outside of the US and are more prone to Attacks in places like the middle east.

you're idiot instead of me!
if terrorism is not a Great Threat to America, why Bush uses it as a topic for his presidential campaign?

That's simple. Because Bush wants to get re-elected, and fear sells.

- Warren

OK, back on topic.

There was a documentary on the History channel a few days ago about the rapist Richard Baker. (I think) Apparently people like this start crawling the walls because their scared to death from the threats of the other inmates. However later on there was some footage showing him with other inmates discussing how good life was in prison! Apparently he had become the other inmates btich, taking hormones so he could have breasts, and wearing silk underwear! (A horrible sight I assure you!)

If their having such a jolly good time in prison, is that justice?!

Vast said:
If their having such a jolly good time in prison, is that justice?!
My firm employed a former prison maintenance supervisor who told us some stories about prison life. One person he told us about was physically abused so frequently that his anal muscles lost full control. He occasionally dripped so badly from his rectum that he would leave a trail behind him. Just one of many stories. Trust me, you do not want to go to prison.

I hope you realize I was eating when I read that.

Smurf said:
I hope you realize I was eating when I read that.
Sorry Smurf. It is disgusting.