How shunt and series resistance in a PV cell changes? Or are they stable?

In summary, the conversation discusses shunt and series resistances in photovoltaic (PV) cells or panels. The question is whether these resistances are constant or variable, and if they are variable, what causes them to increase or decrease. The expert suggests that resistors tend to be constant but can also be variable, and it is important to specify the application or circuit diagram. The conversation also mentions that PV modeling considers these resistances as models rather than physical components, and they vary based on factors such as light, temperature, and load. Finally, the expert compares these resistances to batteries, which are also modeled differently depending on the type of battery chemistry.
Abdouzita103
i really need help about shunt and series resistances
i just want to know if they are constant or variable ?
if they are variable what make them increase or decrease?

Engineering news on Phys.org
As a standalone question, that's really vague. Resistors tend to be constant but they can also be variable (potentiometers). You need to specify an application / circuit diagram.

I'm guessing @Abdouzita103 is asking about the leakage current ("shunt resistance") and series resistance of Photovoltaic Cells.

@Abdouzita103 -- Can you tell us what you know so far? What is your application? Is this for a schoolwork assignment?

good morning I'm talking about shunt and series resistances in PV cell or panel

when I'm reading about Photovoltaic modeling i found they are variable ...How is that?
we consider a PV cell as a source and each source has an internal resistances .

Attachments

• téléchargement.png
    téléchargement.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 360
These are "models" - they do not physically exist in the cell. These are elements that we use to estimate the characteristics of the system for analysis, since the characteristics of the PV cell vary greatly based on light, temperature, and load - it is important to understand all of the factors are "variable".

Just like a battery - and different types of battery chemistry behave and are modeled differently. For an alkaline battery we model with constant Voltage, and increase the series resistance as it is discharged.

Likes berkeman

1. How does shunt resistance affect the performance of a PV cell?

Shunt resistance, also known as parallel resistance, is the resistance between the two terminals of a PV cell. It plays a crucial role in the performance of a PV cell as it determines how much current can flow through the cell. A higher shunt resistance results in a lower current and a lower shunt resistance results in a higher current. So, a lower shunt resistance can reduce the efficiency of a PV cell by decreasing the voltage and increasing the current.

2. What is the impact of series resistance on a PV cell?

Series resistance, also known as internal resistance, is the resistance within the cell itself. It is caused by the material used in the cell and the connections between cells. A higher series resistance can lead to a decrease in the voltage and an increase in the current, resulting in a decrease in the efficiency of the cell. It can also cause a drop in the overall power output of the PV system.

3. How does shunt resistance change over time in a PV cell?

Shunt resistance can change over time due to various factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to light. Higher temperatures can cause an increase in shunt resistance, while higher humidity can cause a decrease. Exposure to light can also affect shunt resistance by changing the properties of the cell's materials. However, these changes are usually small and do not significantly impact the performance of the cell.

4. Is series resistance stable in a PV cell?

Series resistance is not entirely stable in a PV cell as it can change due to factors such as temperature, aging, and manufacturing defects. These changes can result in a decrease in the efficiency of the cell over time. However, modern PV cells are designed with low series resistance to minimize the impact of these changes.

5. How can I reduce shunt and series resistance in a PV cell?

To reduce shunt and series resistance in a PV cell, it is crucial to use high-quality materials and manufacturing processes. These can help minimize the internal resistance of the cell and ensure that it operates at its maximum efficiency. Additionally, proper installation, maintenance, and monitoring can also help identify and address any issues that may arise with shunt and series resistance in a PV cell.