How stable are bookmarks to threads?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, bookmarks do not have any direct impact on the stability of threads and cannot prevent them from crashing. They are simply a tool for organizing and accessing threads. Bookmarking threads is generally considered reliable, but it is recommended to have multiple backups in case they are lost or deleted. Some platforms also allow users to bookmark specific posts within a thread for easier referencing. To ensure that bookmarks are not lost, it is important to regularly back them up and make sure the platform has a reliable backup and restore system.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
If I bookmark a thread in my browser, is there a forecast for how long the bookmark will remain valid? Is it there periodic forum software maintenance that would invalidate by changing the url for the thread? - such as yearly archiving.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
If I bookmark a thread in my browser, is there a forecast for how long the bookmark will remain valid? Is it there periodic forum software maintenance that would invalidate by changing the url for the thread? - such as yearly archiving.

They will always be good, thread/post URLs do not change.

1. How do bookmarks affect the stability of threads?

Bookmarking a thread does not have any direct impact on the stability of the thread. It simply allows users to save the thread for future reference.

2. Can bookmarks prevent threads from crashing?

No, bookmarks do not have any effect on the technical stability of a thread. They are simply a tool for organizing and accessing threads.

3. Are bookmarks to threads reliable?

Bookmarking threads is generally considered reliable, as it is a built-in feature of most online forums and platforms. However, it is always possible for bookmarks to be lost or deleted, so it is recommended to have multiple backups of important threads.

4. Can bookmarks be used to save specific posts within a thread?

Yes, many forums and platforms allow users to bookmark individual posts within a thread, rather than the entire thread itself. This can be useful for referencing specific information within a lengthy thread.

5. How can I ensure that my bookmarks to threads will not be lost?

The best way to prevent losing bookmarks is to regularly back them up. This can be done by exporting bookmarks to a separate file or saving them in a separate location. It is also important to make sure the platform or forum being used has a reliable backup and restore system in place.