How to approach this RLC circuit question?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to approach a question that involves finding the voltage at different nodes in a circuit when a switch is flipped. The participants suggest calculating the waveforms for each circuit and taking into account the switch points in time. They also mention that the switch may waste some energy when changed, but it is advised to ignore this for the question.
maks4

Homework Statement

sm7z29.jpg

^^I'm sort of lost as to how to approach this question. Should i just find the voltage at node A? Then at B? But what confuses me the most are these time values we need to take into account.

So what would be the best way to approach this question?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the switch is at A, its an RL ckt, and when its at B you have a RLC ckt. Calculate the waveforms for each of those. For the various switch points in time, find where (in time) it is in those waveforms and scale the levels accordingly. for example, the second time the switch switches to B, you know how much current is in the inductor and how much voltage is in the cap, the ratio of those tells you at what point in time of the waveform of that RLC ckt they are. And of course, don't forget the cap holds its charge when the switch is at A.

EDIT: Practically speaking, flipping that switch will waste a little energy, too. But I'm almost sure you are suppose to ignore that here.

Last edited:
^^Thanks fleem! That puts things into perspective for me, we usually do these in tutorials so i'll see how it goes there.

And yeah I'm also assuming that we don't consider the small waste in energy when the switch is changed.

1. What is the purpose of an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C). It is used to control the flow of electricity and can be used in various applications such as filtering, tuning, and frequency response.

2. How do I determine the values of the components in an RLC circuit?

The values of the components in an RLC circuit can be determined using Ohm's Law (V=IR), the equations for inductance (L) and capacitance (C), and the principles of series and parallel circuits. Alternatively, you can use a multimeter to measure the values of the components.

3. What is resonance in an RLC circuit?

Resonance in an RLC circuit occurs when the inductive reactance (XL) and capacitive reactance (XC) cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive circuit. This causes the current to peak and can lead to amplification or magnification of certain frequencies.

4. How do I analyze an RLC circuit question using Kirchhoff's laws?

Kirchhoff's laws state that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node, and the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of voltage sources. To analyze an RLC circuit, you can use these laws to set up equations and solve for the unknown variables.

5. What is the difference between a series and parallel RLC circuit?

In a series RLC circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel RLC circuit, components are connected in multiple branches. Series circuits have the same current flowing through each component, while parallel circuits have the same voltage across each component. The total resistance, inductance, and capacitance of a series circuit are calculated differently than a parallel circuit.