Is there a way to bypass Websense and access blocked websites at work?

• Thread starter TheStatutoryApe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: I still can't find a workaround. :(In summary, Evo found a way to get around Websense, but it's not easy and there are many restrictions. He is looking for help from friends.
TheStatutoryApe
How to be devious at work...

(Evo you can lock or delete this if you think it's inappropriate)

My work just installed a program called Websense which blocks our access to various websites. Fortunately I can still get on PF :biggrin:. But it won't let me use any web based e-mail services (and work e-mail won't let us e-mail outside of work) or go to sites like e-bay or what have you. Now I can see where in some instances this is supposed to keep working from blowing all their time when tehy ought to be working buuuut I have nothing to do but surf the net while I'm working. If I didn't have internet access I would just wind up reading the paper or a book or just staring into space or making paper airplanes or something.

Sooooo... I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get around Websense or could point me in the right direction. I don't know anything about proxy servers and Websense won't let me access just about any site related to proxy servers or "proxy avoidance" as it puts it. Even if I knew anything about proxies I'm not sure I would be able to utilize that as an option. I tried Gizoogle thinking that using it might be something like using a proxy but it won't let me access it because it is labeled "tasteless" lol. I tried using the subwindow that pops up when you use google image search and websense still blocks that. I've seen other sites that have that subwindow on them but I am assuming that the same thing will happen with them. I tried downloading Firefox thinking that maybe Websense won't be able to effect another browser if I installed one but without admin access I can't install another browser.

I'm still looking for ways around it. There are quite a few sites out there that talk about how to get around it but most of them Websense won't allow me to access for one reason or another. The ones I do find aren't very useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Websense tells me that page is tasteless and I cannot view it.:grumpy:

omg, i was so thinking the same thing smurf

Maddox said:
The corporate category "Fascist" is filtered.
:rofl:
Hey Ape, I'm working on a way around websense. I'm sure there's something we can do.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Websense tells me that page is tasteless and I cannot view it.:grumpy:
Too bad - it's hilarious.

Tastless? :rofl: It really tells you websites are tasteless? I'm so sorry SA. :frown: I can't stop myself from laughing though, just because that seems so over the top. Does it let you view our biology forum? You know, we sometimes use that "s" word over there. :wink: :rofl: (I won't write it out, you all know what I mean, and I don't want poor SA to get blocked from PF too, the withdrawal might kill him.)

Smurf said:
:rofl:
Hey Ape, I'm working on a way around websense. I'm sure there's something we can do.
Lol... cool. I've got a cople friends that might be able to help me out but I can't get ahold of them while I'm here because of websense.

Moonie said:
Tastless? It really tells you websites are tasteless? I'm so sorry SA. I can't stop myself from laughing though, just because that seems so over the top. Does it let you view our biology forum? You know, we sometimes use that "s" word over there. (I won't write it out, you all know what I mean, and I don't want poor SA to get blocked from PF too, the withdrawal might kill him.)
I don't think it monitors content of the websites it just monitors catagories of websites. Being that I work at a college I doubt they'll block PF.
And yes it actually says that it's "tasteless". I laughed out loud the first time it said that too me.

Any way I just think it's a neat project to work on while I'm here and I'm bored. I think Yomamma might have solved the problem already though if IT sees that a website I go to says something about naked women they might block it themselves.

Ok... I'm not sure what that page is supposed to do Yo-yo but it's not helping me get anywhere it doesn't seem and all the links they have are blocked by websense.

could use some background information on the system that's running websense

Windows XP
IE
OutLook

I already tried going through the outlook browser and it doesn't work.
How do I accomplish the proxy thing do you know? Not knowing computers it's probably out of my league.

Can you access internet options from IE?

a proxy might not work if websense is a standalone.

edit: If you can access Internet options go to "connections" tab, and click "LAN OPTIONS" at the bottom. click the "use a proxy server" box and put in an IP from http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html" .

If you can't access that page just use: 148.244.150.57 port: 80

Last edited by a moderator:
SA, careful, you might not be able to access PF from a proxy, and then you won't be able to get help to undo it to get back!

You could break something on the computer and call for someone in IT to fix it and watch carefully what they use as the administrator password. :uhh: *walks off whistling* o:)

if you need to undo is, just uncheck the box again...

Smurf said:
Can you access internet options from IE?
a proxy might not work if websense is a standalone.
edit: If you can access Internet options go to "connections" tab, and click "LAN OPTIONS" at the bottom. click the "use a proxy server" box and put in an IP from http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html" .
If you can't access that page just use: 148.244.150.57 port: 80
I found it and entered it but it didn't work. I wasn't able to get to PF either.

[edit]And wasn't able to look at the site. It blocks all of those free proxy sites. At least all of the ones I have found so far.
Have to get going in a few. Be back tomorrow though if they haven't blocked PF by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
try this one:
217.219.209.83 port 80
and this one:
200.169.27.37 port 80

if those don't work we'll have to explore alternate strategies.

Moonbear said:
You could break something on the computer
The cupholder isn't working!

Smurf said:
try this one:
217.219.209.83 port 80
and this one:
200.169.27.37 port 80
if those don't work we'll have to explore alternate strategies.
It would be easier to write them down and use them when you get there.

Look at your pm.

Thank you anyway Klusener.

So Smurf, I tried those adresses. They were incredibly slow. The first one I was able to get onto a page with as long as it was a very simple layout otherwise it would load only about half way and then just sit there until it received an error message.
The second one was rather slow as well. At this point I had disabled images and what not inorder to get it to load faster. It would load PF ok after a bit but when ever I tried Yahoo mail or anything that I'm not supposed to be able to access I received a message saying "bad gateway" though not any of the websense displays.

So I read somewhere that websense may not have the hex or binary adresses for sites cataloged and I might be able to get to them that way. Does anyone know where I can get those and how I can keep the browser from automatically switching the adress back over to the www.something.com type adress?

Also does anyone know if installing firefox might somehow help? I spoke to a supervisor today and she told me that she would love it if I could find a way around the websense. I'm not sure but I believe she has some level of administrative access and would be able to allow a program to be installed on the computer which I can't do myself.

smurf, those ips seem to be from iran and some south american country, maybe some american ips could load faster.

66.250.69.2 port 8080
209.90.82.140 port 8080

HA! Awesome. Those ones work. Except that Yahoo thinks there's something fishy about them and won't let me log in. I'll have to try another email service and see if it works.

Thank you!

1. How can I be devious at work without getting caught?

The key to being devious at work without getting caught is to be subtle and strategic. Avoid making sudden or drastic changes that could raise suspicion. Instead, slowly and gradually implement your plan while maintaining a professional and friendly demeanor.

2. Is it ethical to be devious at work?

It depends on your personal values and the specific actions you plan on taking. While being devious may help you achieve your goals, it could also harm others and damage your reputation. Consider the potential consequences and whether your actions align with your moral compass.

3. What are some examples of being devious at work?

Some examples of being devious at work include manipulating information or data, spreading rumors or false information, taking credit for someone else's work, and using flattering or manipulative tactics to get what you want. However, it's important to note that these actions can have negative consequences and should be used with caution.

4. How can I use deviousness to my advantage in the workplace?

Deviousness can be used strategically to advance your career, gain recognition, or protect yourself from potential harm. However, it's important to approach it with caution and consider the potential consequences. It's also important to balance deviousness with honesty and integrity to maintain a positive reputation.

5. What are some potential risks of being devious at work?

Being devious at work can have various risks, including damaging your relationships with coworkers, getting caught and facing consequences, and damaging your own reputation and integrity. It can also create a toxic work environment and affect your mental well-being. Consider these risks carefully before engaging in any devious behavior at work.