How to Beat a Speeding Ticket for Motorists

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, a Parrot is a type of remote control that is often used for aerial drones and other small vehicles. It is named after the sound it appears to make when in use.
Any store that sells gizmos that are old enough to be obselete, but not old enough to be retro.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope.

Hint:

They are all locations that are in the same building.

Bonus:

If you can name the joke related to how one of these locations got its nickname.

Here's my guess: They are all areas within a theater. And if I'm not mistaken, some or all can apply both to live performance type of theater as well as film/production.

• Monitor World: Also called "Monitor Land." Involves a big audio mixer/sound board thingamajig.
  • Video Village: Production area. That where the action is. "Sometimes it takes a village."
  • Dimmer Beach: Area where the stage lighting is controlled. Dimmers for the stage lights can be anywhere, generally speaking, but "dimmer beach" is typically the term if the dimmers are stored onstage.
  • The Pit: Orchestra pit?

Sorry, but I wasn't able to come across the joke.

[Edit: And they also might apply to a television studio, such as ones that record/produce sitcoms, talk-shows, and maybe even live news.]

Last edited:
Yup you got it Collinsmark.

Close enough for Monitor world. In most cases it is where the amps, wireless receivers, onstage/ in ear mixer, and senders live. FOH (front of house) mixing is done FOH.

Video Village is also where any video production for the show happens.

The pit is the orchestra pit, a good place to put the muscians and there stuff.

I'm not sure on using these terms for TV/movie production. I've only here them in theater/concert settings

As for the joke for the name Dimmer beach, it's because it's where the breakers are.

Okay, here is my jargon move:

What is the "well"?

Of course the word "well," on its own, has many definitions. I'm looking for something very specific. In this context:
  • It is a noun.
  • It is [usually]* tangible: something that can be touched with one's hand for example.
  • It has a corresponding adjective, also "well" in this particular context. The adjective "well" can be used in the form "well BLANKSs," where "BLANK" represents a different, specific word that I have not mentioned in this post. I'm not asking for what BLANK is (although that will almost certainly lead you to the answer), rather I'm asking for the noun to which adjective refers (in this context): the "well".
  • It is not particularly related to science or technology. It is not a scientific term. It is not a technological term.

It is not described by any of the references on these pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WELL_%28disambiguation%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_%28disambiguation%29

Nor is it specifically described by any of these definitions:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/well

except for maybe, "8. An enclosed space for receiving and holding something ...". The well I'm looking for is used for receiving and/or holding something. But I'm looking for something more specific than that. (Oh, and this "well" has nothing to do with airplanes.)

I venture to guess that perhaps the majority of people** have heard or read the term "well BLANKs" (where "BLANK" is a specific word I'm not mentioning in this post) at one time or another, but most people don't know why they're called that.

As a reminder, you can guess at what the BLANK in "well BLANKs" is, but I'm looking for the noun: the thing that "well" in "well BLANKs" refers to. And that noun -- that thing -- is called the "well".

*[Edit: Okay, in some scenarios the "well" might be nothing more than a symbolic location if there is no real "well" within proximity. But the name the "well" comes from something specific that can receive and/or hold things.]

**[In places where English is the commonly spoken language.]

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
(Oh, and this "well" has nothing to do with airplanes.)
Hmmmpppphhhh...
Then I have no further interest. Come along, then, Andre... let's go snag a beer and let these groundhogs have their fun...

:-p

Danger said:
Hmmmpppphhhh...
Then I have no further interest. Come along, then, Andre...

Oh, my goodness no! :eek:

The part of the link I quoted in more detail is "8. An enclosed space for receiving and holding something, such as the wheels of an airplane when retracted."

What I meant to say is the "well" which I was hinting about does involve the idea of receiving/holding/containing stuff. My other comment was just to say that it just doesn't involve airplanes in this case, even though landing gear was used as an example in the quoted link (my "well" has nothing to do with landing gear).

let's go snag a beer and let these groundhogs have their fun...

If the beer selection is bad, you could always consider a couple of well BLANKs instead.

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
If the beer selection is bad, you could always consider a couple of well BLANKs instead.
Hmmm... I thought that this was simply a term that we used in my town, not a common one, so I never thought of it in relation to this. When I was tending bar, we had an array of plastic buckets surrounding the ice well, which held the most popular liquors in their own spots. They were referred to as "speed wells" because we didn't have to turn around to the main bar to grab a bottle.

Danger wins the round!

The "well", in its most general sense, refers to the location immediately behind and under the bar. That's where the ice is stored among other things such as a speed rail for the cheapy liquor.

Here is a picture of my lovely bartender showing off the well. Circled in red is the speed rail thing where "well drinks" come from.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58491&stc=1&d=1367739340.jpg

"BLANK," the mystery word in my previous post is "drink." Well drinks are called "well drinks" because they are made with cheap liquor: the liquor typically stored in the speed rail in the well. If you order a "gin and tonic" you will get whatever cheap gin is in "the well." If you order a "Tanqueray and tonic," you'll get the name brand stuff, but it'll cost more.

"Well drinks" are often on sale, or on "special," meaning they are extra cheap.

---------------------

On a different note, the bar that I frequent has an additional use of the term. If you have a "backup," but are too tipsy to drink it, you can tell the bartender to "put it in the well," meaning you will drink it next time. This is recorded in some way or another such as a in a notebook or something. This practice is comparatively rare though.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58492&stc=1&d=1367740157.jpg

Okay, Danger. You're up.

Attachments

• Well_Caitlin.jpg
    Well_Caitlin.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 454
  • The well.jpg
    The well.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 437
Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't actually get that. My answer, while dealing with the same basic subject as yours, was about something totally different.
The term "well drinks" doesn't exist here; they're referred to as "bar brand". For instance, when I walk into a place not in the mood for beer, I'll say "What's your bar Scotch?" If it's something that I don't like, I'll order Ballentine's or Famous Grouse, which are "call brands".
While we have "speed rails" at knee level, I've known only one bartender in my life who actually used it. Nowadays, though, all bar brands are delivered through the gun, not a bottle, in most places. The ice well and speed wells are the only components known by that name, not the whole area.
I'll sketch up what I'm referring to and post it in a while.
Meantime, I think it's only fair that you pick a new term and continue.

Danger said:
Meantime, I think it's only fair that you pick a new term and continue.

Oh, no. Your guess was most certainly close enough. I would have accepted pretty much anything dealing with a bar. Your guess was more or less right on the mark.

Your move. :smile:

Edit:

attachment.php?attachmentid=58522&stc=1&d=1367827078.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=58523&stc=1&d=1367827078.jpg

AC-DC+Dirty+Deeds+Done+Dity+Cheap.jpg

Attachments

• Caitin_Danger.jpg
    Caitin_Danger.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 489
  • Danger_group.jpg
    Danger_group.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Okay. It's probably best to keep thing reasonably simple from now on.
In reference to a sport (not horse racing): rail.
There are two completely different answers, involving different sports, that I'll accept.

It's too late to edit my last post. I just now saw the photos in yours. Too cool! You have some fine looking friends.
Okay, hints about my subject matter: one is an indoor sport that I play and love, and the other is an outdoor one that I love but don't play. The definition for the latter actually has a (sub-definition?) of the term incorporated into itself.

The "rail" is a bumper on a pool table.

Correct, Flatmaster.
The other use that I would have accepted is that it's a type of dragster. (The "sub-definition" is the fuel rail via which the engine thereof is injected.)
Take it away, Squire.

ALmost forgot about the Turbo Entabulator.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2kwl1YRYy_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. The new word is...

Circle Swim

flatmaster said:
ALmost forgot about the Turbo Entabulator.

It's amazing that the dude could pull that off with a straight face; he must be related to Pat Paulson.
I'll think on your new one a bit later.
Hey! Hang on a sec... is that the tactic wherein dolphins round up herrings into a kind of tornado-shaped cluster to eat them easier?

Danger said:
Hey! Hang on a sec... is that the tactic wherein dolphins round up herrings into a kind of tornado-shaped cluster to eat them easier?

Nope. I'm going to hold off on any other clues for now, but I'll answer questions. No google please

flatmaster said:
No google please

Of course not! I consider that cheating.

My boys trying to dodge molecules of spermicide?

Nope

Maybe we could move that one to the "new words" thread...? o:)

The direction of swimming varies depending on what country you happen to be in.

Intriguing...
That implies to me that it's based upon either traffic patterns or the Coriolis effect. Even if one of those is correct, though, it doesn't help me one little bit.

Oh, hey! A traffic circle (in some places called a "roundabout")?

Danger said:
Intriguing...
That implies to me that it's based upon either traffic patterns ...")?

Yep

Now put in the swimming part.

It's worth noting that the shape isn't really a circle, but there is a repeating cycle that traces out a stretched circle.

flatmaster said:
Yep

Now put in the swimming part.

Hemi 'Cudas on parade...? :-p

From the clues it sounds like a way to do lap swimming.

or water ballet...

I haven't given up on this; it's just that nothing has yet rapped me on the noggin. Still on it, though.

What happened to flatmaster?

Personally, I think Argentum Vulpes likely got the right answer from post #134:

Argentum Vulpes said:
From the clues it sounds like a way to do lap swimming

But it would be nice if flatmaster confirmed that.

Going by the link, it looks good.
Maybe there should be a rule about how long a question poser can wait before giving a new clue or a solution (in the absence of responses). I know that I felt a bit guilty about waiting as long as I did to abandon the "gate" puzzle.

Ok so looks like it is my turn.

The word is: Alligator

And here it is in a sentence for contextual reference: I'm hunting the woodpecker tonight, when I find it that big alligator will be messed with.

Bonus points: Woodpecker

Happy hunting :approve: