How to become an astrophysicist or an astronomer ?

In summary, Kavin from Malaysia is seeking advice on how to become an astrophysicist. He is unable to do a diploma in physics in Malaysia and is looking for a university or program abroad that offers a scholarship. He is also confused about the difference between an astrophysicist and an astronomer and wants to know where they work and who they work for. He has tried looking on NASA's website but has not found any information. He is seeking advice and information about pursuing a career in astrophysics.
Kavin Hawaii
Hello, guys.. i Need a little help here...

My name is Kavin and I'm from Malaysia... See, i want to be an astrophysicist but i don't know how to be one. I know my first step would be to do diploma in physics. Since i can't do that in Malaysia ( because that course doesn't exist here ), i have to go abroad. Now, can anyone tell me a university or somewhere i can do a diploma in physics with SCHOLARSHIP provided...?

Secondly, I'm still confused with the basic thing.. I know this may sound irritating but what is the difference between and astrophysicist and a astronomer. Let me get this clear, i want to go to space and at the same time i want to study about it too... So what shall i be, an astrophysicist or and astronomer or both..?

Thirdly, where does an astronomer or an astrophysicist work ?.. what do they do for a living.. i just still don get the point.. Are both occupations, first of all ?... and who will i have to work for if i become one..., who will hire me.?
I've tried Nasa's webpage but it doesn't say anything about astronaut or astrophysics...

I'm still confused... any information about this are most welcome..!
Thanks anyway...!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
as my father said if you like what you do you will be good at it ,it seams to me you do not know what you want ,read basic books and see first if it is for you ,i mean if it interests you then take it farther . it would be an awfull shame to come all the way to dublin ,london to the discover o sh1t this is not for me ,,,,,by the way I am a metal fabricator/engineere i thought i wanted to be in the navy until i joined and then left and went back to collage,that my advise

Likes Mlesnita Daniel

1. What education do I need to become an astrophysicist or an astronomer?

To become an astrophysicist or an astronomer, you will need a minimum of a bachelor's degree in physics, astronomy, or a related field. However, most positions in the field require a doctoral degree. It is also recommended to take advanced courses in mathematics and computer science.

2. What skills are important for an astrophysicist or an astronomer?

Strong analytical and critical thinking skills are essential for an astrophysicist or an astronomer. You will also need to have a strong background in mathematics, as well as computer programming and data analysis skills. Good communication skills are also important, as you will need to present your findings and collaborate with other scientists.

3. What is the job outlook for astrophysicists and astronomers?

The job outlook for astrophysicists and astronomers is projected to grow by 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. However, competition for jobs in this field is expected to be strong, as it is a relatively small and specialized field.

4. What type of work do astrophysicists and astronomers do?

Astrophysicists and astronomers study the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects such as planets, stars, galaxies, and black holes. They use advanced equipment and techniques to collect and analyze data, and then use their findings to further our understanding of the universe. They may also teach and mentor students, as well as write research papers and present their findings at conferences.

5. Are there any specific certifications or licenses required to become an astrophysicist or an astronomer?

There are no specific certifications or licenses required to become an astrophysicist or an astronomer. However, some positions may require a security clearance if the work involves classified information. Additionally, some employers may prefer or require candidates to have certification in specific areas of expertise, such as data analysis or instrumentation.