How to begin actively reading journals

In summary, finding a mentor, joining research groups, and attending seminars and conferences are all great ways to transition into actively reading journal articles in your field of interest.
sEsposito
I hope this doesn't come off as a stupid question, but I'm wondering if there's a better way to get into actively reading journals and articles (for me, in mathematics) than just going in blindly...

I'm at the point in my mathematical career where I've already delved into "advanced" mathematics, but not enough to consider focusing on a specialization. In short, I'm in a combine BA/MA program and have just started the graduate courses. I just feel like I'm going in blind when I look at open access journals; and 90% of the time any article that I do read is over my head, not always in mathematics but in context (because its so specialized). Is there a better way to transition into this, or am I just going to have to keep chugging along this way until things fall into place? Are some journals better for students like myself than others?

Again, I'm not at the point where I'm specializing in any way yet, but I'm definitely interested in topics like theoretical computer science, logic, number theory, etc. more than others.

Physics news on Phys.org
One good way to get into actively reading journal articles is to find a mentor who specializes in the field and ask them for their advice. A mentor can point you in the right direction and help you choose which journals are best for your level of knowledge and interests. Additionally, it may be helpful to join research groups or online communities related to the field of mathematics that you're interested in. These groups can provide valuable resources, such as recommended readings, as well as provide a supportive environment for learning and discussion. Finally, attending seminars and conferences related to the field can also be a great way to learn more about the topic and engage with experts in the field.

What is the purpose of actively reading journals?

The purpose of actively reading journals is to stay updated on the latest research and advancements in your field of study. It allows you to critically analyze and evaluate the information presented in the journal articles, and apply it to your own research or work.

How do I choose which journals to read?

It is important to choose journals that are relevant to your field of study and research interests. You can start by looking at the journals that are commonly cited by other researchers in your field. You can also ask your colleagues or mentor for recommendations.

What strategies can I use to actively read a journal article?

Some strategies for actively reading a journal article include previewing the article by reading the abstract, introduction, and conclusion first. Then, go back and read the entire article, taking notes and highlighting important information. It is also helpful to identify the main argument or findings of the article and critically evaluate the evidence presented.

How often should I actively read journals?

The frequency of actively reading journals will depend on your specific field and research interests. It is recommended to set aside dedicated time each week to read and analyze journal articles. This will help you stay updated on the latest research and advancements in your field.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when actively reading journals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when actively reading journals include not reading critically, not taking notes, and not evaluating the credibility of the sources. It is important to actively engage with the material and think critically about the information presented in the journal article.