How to calculate bonding strength of an adhesive tape

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shady99
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bonding Strength
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
Shady99
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Hello i would like to know how to find out the bond strength of the adhesive tape. The problem is i have a aluminum block of 10 kgs. I want to stick the block on a steel wall with double tape. Now how can i calculate the bonding force of the bond between the1) tape and wall 2)tape and block
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is that not in the datasheet for the tape?

BTW, be sure to check the operating temperature range of the 2-sided tape. I recently almost made a giant error using standard 3M 2-sided sticky tape for an electronics application. The standard tape is only good for something like 10C to 50C. I did finally find some wide temperature range 2-sided tape (3M VHB)...
 
berkeman said:
Is that not in the datasheet for the tape?

BTW, be sure to check the operating temperature range of the 2-sided tape. I recently almost made a giant error using standard 3M 2-sided sticky tape for an electronics application. The standard tape is only good for something like 10C to 50C. I did finally find some wide temperature range 2-sided tape (3M VHB)...
Actually i was wanting to know the maths for how to do calculations for such a problem
 
Shady99 said:
Actually i was wanting to know the maths for how to do calculations for such a problem
I'm not sure there is a simple mathematical approach. The yield strength of the adhesive varies so much from formulation-to-formulation... Is there anything on the datasheet about the bonding strength? I can go check the datasheet for the VHB tape I'm using now...
 
See the section on "Typical Performance Characteristics" mid-way down the datasheet:

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/67100O/3mtm-vhb-tapes.pdf
 
berkeman said:
See the section on "Typical Performance Characteristics" mid-way down the datasheet:

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/67100O/3mtm-vhb-tapes.pdf
Say the tensile strength of my tape is 40 kpa...how to know if the block will stick onto or fall?
 
Perhaps start with a free body diagram.