Contact strength in ANSYS Workbench

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with modeling contact between bricks and mortar in Ansys Workbench. They have conducted experiments and know the maximum normal stress and maximum shear stress that cause failure, which they believe is due to lost adhesion. They have attempted to use "Bonded contact" and "Contact Debonding" with "Cohesive zone material" properties, and have chosen specific values for "Maximum Normal Contact Stress" and "Maximum Equivalent Tangential Contact Stress." However, they are unsure if their approach is correct because when they tested it, the contact did not debond as expected. Another person in the conversation is also working on a similar problem but has not found a solution yet.
Jiri Fila
Hello,
I want to model in Ansys Workbench contact between bricks and mortar. From experiments I know maximum normal stress and maximum shear stress. Respectively I know forces in which the contact fails. The failure is brittle due to lost of adhesion.
I tried to use "Bonded contact" and "Contact Debonding" with "Cohesive zone material" properties (see pic. bellow). For "Maximum Normal Contact Stress" I will use maximum normal stress calcutated from maximum force measured during experiments. For "Maximum Equivalent Tangential Contact Stress" I will use maximum shear stress calcutated from maximum force measured during experiments. "Contact Gap" and "Tangential Slip" I choose as 0,001 mm because I want contact nondeformable.
Can anyone tell me, if my idea is correct? When I tried to test it, contact in Mode II (with applied shear force) did not debonded at supposed applied force.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Attachments

• CZM.png
    CZM.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 950
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Jiri Fila, I would like to ask did you solve the problem or still working on it? I am also trying to simulate some similar contact behavior in ansys workbench.

Unfortunately, not yet.

1. What is contact strength in ANSYS Workbench?

Contact strength refers to the amount of force or stress that can be applied to the contact interface between two or more bodies in ANSYS Workbench before they start to separate or deform. It is an important factor to consider in simulations involving contact between different parts or components.

2. How is contact strength calculated in ANSYS Workbench?

Contact strength is calculated by analyzing the contact pressure and shear stress at the contact interface between two bodies. This is typically done through a combination of numerical analysis and experimental testing, and the results are used to determine the maximum force or stress that can be applied to achieve a desired level of contact strength.

3. What factors affect contact strength in ANSYS Workbench?

The main factors that influence contact strength in ANSYS Workbench include material properties, geometry of the contact interface, and the type of contact (e.g. bonded, frictional, or sliding). Additionally, the accuracy of the mesh and the type of contact algorithm used can also impact the calculated contact strength.

4. Can contact strength be improved in ANSYS Workbench?

Yes, there are several ways to improve contact strength in ANSYS Workbench. One way is to optimize the geometry and material properties of the contact interface to better distribute the stress and pressure. Another way is to use more advanced contact algorithms, such as nonlinear contact or bonded contact, which can better simulate real-world contact behavior. Additionally, refining the mesh and using more accurate material models can also improve contact strength.

5. How can I validate the contact strength results in ANSYS Workbench?

Validation of contact strength results can be done through experimental testing, where the simulated contact strength is compared to the actual contact strength measured in a physical test. It is important to use similar material properties, geometry, and contact conditions in both the simulation and the test for accurate validation. Additionally, comparing the results to published data or analytical solutions can also help validate the contact strength results in ANSYS Workbench.