How to calculate g-forces on pilots in climbs, dives, outer space

In summary, the conversation discusses the apparent weight of a pilot in a turn and the effects of positive and negative g-forces. It also explores the force diagram and normal force experienced by a pilot during a turn. The conversation concludes that in deep space, a pilot can go faster at the bottom of a turn than on Earth, but not as fast as at the top of a loop on Earth. The concept of a "bottom" and "top" of a turn is also questioned in the context of flying in a circle with the same radius.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
Hi all,

I was working on same basic physics with calculate the apparent weight of a pilot in a turn.
Let's have the plane be oriented such that the cockpit faces the sky, the belly faces the ground to start off with.

Now, "Positive G-forces" are for a plane that begins to climb, or to put the nose on an incline.

"Negative G-forces" would be a plane that dives, tips the nose down, or under the horizontal.

In the image I attached, step 1) is my Newton's Laws for a "positive G scenerio", where the plane begins to climb and I only worry about the lowest point in the turn, for simplicity. I wrote at the bottom that: N=mg+mv^2/r where the N is the Normal force (the weight the pilot "feels") and I mention that the extra mv^2/r is what adds weight to the pilot. In step 2) I show my analysis for a "negative g-forces", which I conclude with N =mg-mv^2/r and this time the pilot feels like he weighs less because the mv^2/r term detracts from the true weight.

I read the following statement: Negative g-forces are harsher than positive g-forces so what a pilot can do, is rather than dive where you tip the nose down, roll the plane over (now, the cockpit faces the ground and the belly the sky) and pull the stick back. You will now experience positive g-forces". In my diagram, I have that situation in the bottom right corner and I conclude with: N=mv^2/r-mg. However, this expression does not look at all like N= mg+mv^2/r. In fact, if the pilot were to roll over, it seems like he would still experience weightlessness. What would the force diagram look like for a plane rolling over that would make the pilot experience postive g-forces?

On my diagram, the floor is the bottom of the plane or the seat of the plane. The Normal force is the force of contact between pilot and floor.

Attachments

• GforcesPilots.pdf
    21.4 KB · Views: 941
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, let's say Luc skywalker is doing loops in his starfighter in outer space with negligable gravity. The normal force he would experience on the seat would be mv^2/r at all times. We will can this force Cf, for centripital force.

If Luc now comes down to the planet so Princess Leia can see better and does circular loops ( quite a proficient pilot he is ) then at the bottom of the loop the force he feels is Cf + mg. At the top of the loop Luc would feel Cf-mg.

Now whether at the top of the loop Luc feels the force on his butt or on his shoulder harness depends on v^2/r.

Does that help you out?

Almost. Let's say that the maximum g-force that Luke can take is 9g's for a force of 9mg. This would be the maximum value the Normal force would have. Now, on Earth he can feel Cf + mg = N at the bottom of the loop and crank his velocity up (v^2 in Cf) until Cf+mg = 9mg. Out in space, since mg=0, Cf can go even higher, and Luke can take the Cf until it equals 9mg. Thus, Luke can take the bottom of the turn with a higher speed in space than he would be able to on Earth.

At the top of the Loop Luke feels a force of N=Cf-mg and the max value of N is again, 9mg. It seems that this is the reverse of the bottom of the loop. Cf goes up but it always subtracts out the mg so it can get really big (and V can get big). But if I go into space, the mg again disappears, now Cf can't go as high becuase the -mg is gone.

Thus, in summary, it seems that in deep space, Luke can go much faster at the bottom of a turn than he could on Earth, but not as fast as the top of a loop on Earth.

Is this correct?

In deep space, there is no "bottom" and "top".
He can fly in a circle with the same radius faster than at the bottom on a planet and slower than at the top on a planet.

Hello,

Calculating g-forces on pilots during climbs, dives, and in outer space requires a thorough understanding of Newton's Laws of Motion and the principles of centripetal force. To calculate g-forces on a pilot, we must consider the forces acting on the pilot and the direction of those forces.

In a positive g-force scenario, where the plane begins to climb, the pilot will feel an increase in weight due to the additional mv^2/r term in the equation N=mg+mv^2/r. This is because the plane is accelerating upwards, creating a centripetal force that pushes the pilot towards the floor of the plane. The pilot's weight, mg, is also acting downwards, creating a normal force, N, between the pilot and the seat.

In a negative g-force scenario, where the plane dives or tips the nose down, the pilot will feel a decrease in weight due to the mv^2/r term detracting from the true weight. This is because the plane is accelerating downwards, creating a centripetal force that pushes the pilot away from the floor of the plane. The pilot's weight, mg, is still acting downwards, creating a normal force, N, between the pilot and the seat.

In order to experience positive g-forces in a situation where the plane is rolling over, the force diagram would look similar to the positive g-force scenario, with the centripetal force pushing the pilot towards the floor of the plane. However, in this case, the normal force would be acting upwards, towards the ceiling of the plane, as the pilot is now upside down. This would create the equation N=mv^2/r-mg, where the mv^2/r term is now adding to the normal force instead of subtracting from it.

It is important to note that the amount of force experienced by a pilot in a situation with positive or negative g-forces depends on the speed and radius of the turn. The higher the speed or the tighter the turn, the greater the g-forces will be.

In outer space, g-forces are not experienced in the same way as on Earth due to the lack of gravity. Instead, astronauts may experience g-forces during takeoff or reentry, which can be calculated using the same principles discussed above.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the calculation of g-forces on pilots in different scenarios. It is important to always consider the direction and magnitude of forces when analyzing any

1. How are g-forces calculated on pilots during climbs and dives?

G-forces are calculated by multiplying the pilot's body weight by the acceleration due to gravity. During a climb, the g-force experienced by the pilot will increase as the aircraft gains altitude. During a dive, the g-force experienced will decrease as the aircraft descends.

2. What is the maximum g-force that a pilot can withstand?

The maximum g-force that a pilot can withstand varies depending on several factors, such as the individual's physical condition and the duration of the g-force. Generally, a healthy pilot can withstand up to 9 g's for a short period of time before experiencing physical symptoms.

3. How does gravity affect g-forces in outer space?

In outer space, there is no gravity acting on the pilot or the spacecraft. However, during acceleration or deceleration, g-forces are still experienced due to the inertia of the pilot's body. This can be mitigated by specialized suits and training.

4. Can g-forces be felt during a zero-gravity environment?

No, g-forces cannot be felt in a zero-gravity environment. This is because there is no gravity acting on the body, so there is no weight or force pushing against the pilot. However, during acceleration or deceleration, g-forces can still be experienced as mentioned earlier.

5. How do pilots train to withstand high g-forces?

Pilots undergo specialized training to help them withstand high g-forces. This includes physical conditioning, practicing specific breathing techniques, and wearing specialized suits that compress the body to prevent blood from pooling in the lower extremities. Pilots also undergo regular g-force tolerance tests to ensure they are able to safely handle high g-forces.