How to calculate gas flow rate through a system?

In summary, to calculate the gas flow rate through a 180km stainless steel natural gas pipeline with a diameter of 0.4m, the pressure at the start being 4MPa and at the end being 2MPa, you will need to use the moody diagram and assume an initial velocity. By calculating the Reynolds number and using the friction factor from the moody diagram, you can compare the calculated pressure drop to the actual pressure drop. If they do not match, adjust the velocity and repeat the process until the match is within a reasonable range. This will give you the correct velocity and from that, you can calculate the mass flow rate.
Gurj
The pressure at the start of a 180km stainless steel natural gas pipeline is 4MPa and at the end is 2MPa. if the diameter is 0.4m, what will be the gas flow rate through the system?
(ignore losses other than friction, ρ= 40 kg/m^3, μ= 11x10^-6 Pa)

Could anybody please point me in the right direction on how I actually do this question?
I have done questions where we were asked the mass flow rate before but we were not given values for pressure etc in them. I know that i have to use the moody diagram but do not know what to do with the pressure values given.
Also came across this formula in my notes: μ = [(∏*d^4)/(128*Q*l)]*(P1-P2) but surely it could not be that easy?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might have to do it by iterations.
Start -assume a friction factor - Pick a random flow rate ( or velocity ) - find Reynolds number - calculate pressure drop - does it match - yes you are done - if not increase or decrease flow rate depending upon calculated pressure drop and go back to start.

How close should the match be - I guess you decide but 1% to 5% should be OK and how many iterations you would like to do, Afterall you are ignoring losses other than friction, so maybe a resulting flow on the low side would be more reasonable.

Last edited:
I think "bits" is correct. This problem requires an iterative solution. Basically the pipe pressure drop equals the head loss (h-L). To calculate h-L assume a velocity, calculate Re, look up (or calculate) a friction factor. Compare h_l to ΔP. If ΔP≠h-L, assume new velocity. If you don't like looking up the friction factor from the moody diagram you can use the Colebrook equation (assumes you are in the nonlaminar range) which as empirical fit for the Moody diagram.

The units of dynamic viscosity are Pa*s

Forget the Colebrook equation. Plug in all your constants and you get a simple equation in the form const=f*v^2 where f is the friction factor and v is velocity.Get your moody diagram out. Look up the absolute roughness ε for stainless steel pipe and calculate ε/D. Assume a reasonable velocity for natural gas in a pipe. Calculate Re, look up f from Moody diagram. See if f*v^2 = the constant. If it doesn't, assume another value for v, calculate Re, look up new f. You get the idea. After 3-4 iterations you will approach the correct value of velocity and can calculate the mass flow rate.

1. How do I calculate gas flow rate through a system?

The gas flow rate through a system can be calculated by using the equation Q = AV, where Q is the flow rate (in m³/s), A is the cross-sectional area of the system (in m²), and V is the average velocity of the gas (in m/s).

2. What units should I use for calculating gas flow rate?

The standard units for calculating gas flow rate are cubic meters per second (m³/s). However, depending on the specific needs of the system, other units such as liters per minute (L/min) or cubic feet per minute (CFM) may be used.

3. How do I determine the cross-sectional area of the system?

The cross-sectional area of the system can be determined by measuring the diameter of the pipe or channel through which the gas is flowing, and using the equation A = πr², where A is the area (in m²) and r is the radius (in m).

4. What factors can affect the gas flow rate through a system?

The gas flow rate through a system can be affected by a variety of factors, including the pressure and temperature of the gas, the length and diameter of the system, and any obstructions or restrictions in the flow path.

5. How accurate are calculations of gas flow rate through a system?

The accuracy of gas flow rate calculations depends on the accuracy of the input values and the assumptions made in the calculation. It is important to regularly check and calibrate measuring devices and take into account any potential sources of error in order to ensure accurate results.