How to Calculate Heritability in Fruit Fly Bristle Number Genetics

• Biology
  • Thread starter CMATT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genetics
In summary, the geneticist studying the number of bristles on the second leg of fruit flies determined that a wild-type strain has a mean number of 486.3 bristles per leg. A sample of males and females from this population with 420.0 bristles were bred and the offspring had a mean bristle number of 432.0.
CMATT

Homework Statement

A geneticist studying the number of bristles on the second leg of fruit flies determined that a wild-type strain has a mean number of 486.3 bristles per leg. A sample of males and females from this population with 420.0 bristles were bred and the offspring had a mean bristle number of 432.0

a) what is the heritability of bristle number?

b) if you were to select a group of flies with 500.0 bristles and breed them, what would be the mean bristle number in the progeny?

c) If we wished to generate a population of flies that had a mean leg bristle number of 450.0, what parents should we select?

Homework Equations

Vp = Va + Vd + Vi + Ve + V(g)(e)

Vg = Va + Vd + Vi

H^2 = Vg / Vp

h^2 = Va / Vp

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't even know where to begin. I have tried contemplating for 20 minutes on what to freaken do and I'm getting very frustrated. If someone could PLEASE at least point me in the right direction (I get it if you don't want to solve it) then I would really appreciate the help. My teacher is no good.

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
This is some kind of quantitative genetics I have no acquaintance with and I don't know if anyone who has will be along.
I don't know what any of the symbols in your equations are.

But I recognize a pattern of question which we get about pH buffers, resistive circuits, stoichiometry, and other standard subjects.

That is there is a textbook definition and the student is asked to apply it calculating something. That is question (a). The definition of herediBlity is surely in your textbook and sufficient relevant data in your question.

We might or might not be able to help with the others if you posted a relevant Page or two from the book here.

Likes CMATT
The equations you should use are not among those listed in the first post (those are a more general definition of heritability, but are not the right ones for the particular experiment you describe). You should review the relevant part of your textbook on calculating heritability from the response to selection. (Alternatively, read https://www.ndsu.edu/pubweb/~mcclean/plsc431/quantgen/qgen7.htm or take a look at slides #13-14 from http://www.wou.edu/~guralnl/311Quantitative Genetics.pdf).

Once you've reviewed that material, try posting your thoughts and we can tell you whether you're on the right track.

Last edited:
Likes CMATT
epenguin said:
This is some kind of quantitative genetics I have no acquaintance with and I don't know if anyone who has will be along.
I don't know what any of the symbols in your equations are.

But I recognize a pattern of question which we get about pH buffers, resistive circuits, stoichiometry, and other standard subjects.

That is there is a textbook definition and the student is asked to apply it calculating something. That is question (a). The definition of herediBlity is surely in your textbook and sufficient relevant data in your question.

We might or might not be able to help with the others if you posted a relevant Page or two from the book here.

Yes I've looked at the definition and it confuses me, but I will try to look for other equations to use
Thank you!

Ygggdrasil said:
The equations you should use are not among those listed in the first post (those are a more general definition of heritability, but are not the right ones for the particular experiment you describe). You should review the relevant part of your textbook on calculating heritability from the response to selection. (Alternatively, read https://www.ndsu.edu/pubweb/~mcclean/plsc431/quantgen/qgen7.htm or take a look at slides #13-14 from http://www.wou.edu/~guralnl/311Quantitative Genetics.pdf).

Once you've reviewed that material, try posting your thoughts and we can tell you whether you're on the right track.

Thank you very much, I will review those now as well as look for different equations!

Related to How to Calculate Heritability in Fruit Fly Bristle Number Genetics

1. What is heritability in genetics?

Heritability is a measure of the proportion of variation in a trait that can be attributed to genetic factors. It is often used to quantify the role of genetics in determining a particular trait.

2. How is heritability calculated?

Heritability is calculated by comparing the variation in a trait within a population to the variation in the genetic relatedness of individuals within that population. This is typically done through statistical analysis, such as using the heritability equation.

3. What is the significance of heritability in fruit fly bristle number genetics?

Fruit fly bristle number genetics is a commonly studied model for understanding the role of genetics in determining physical traits. Heritability in this context can help us understand the extent to which genetic factors contribute to variation in bristle number among fruit flies.

4. How can heritability in fruit fly bristle number genetics be measured?

Heritability in fruit fly bristle number genetics can be measured through techniques such as selective breeding, quantitative trait loci (QTL) mapping, and analysis of genetic crosses.

5. What factors can affect heritability in fruit fly bristle number genetics?

Several factors can affect heritability in fruit fly bristle number genetics, such as environmental influences, genetic drift, and gene interactions. These factors should be taken into account when interpreting heritability results.

Back