How to calculate how much power required to turn a flywheel?

In summary, to calculate the required power (HP) to turn a flywheel at constant velocity, you can use the formula Energy= 1/2 * I * W2 where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the radius. This can be applied to any flywheel with different values, such as a 24 inch diameter, 5 inch width, and 50kg weight with a constant angular velocity of 1500 rpm. If there are no losses, no power is required to maintain the constant velocity.
krishna patel
How to calculate how much power required to turn a flywheel at constant velosity ? Suppose I have a flywheel of 24 inch diameter, width 5 inches,50kg and constant angular velosity is 1500 rpm. How do I calculate the required power (HP) to turn this or any other with different values?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If there are no losses (eg no friction or air resistance) then it takes no power to keep it running at a constant angular velocity.

If there are no losses you can use the formulaEnergy= 1/2 * I * W2

I= m*r2 * constant depending on shape

then divide by the time you want it to reach the angular speed you want (e.g in 10 sec ...)

Related to How to calculate how much power required to turn a flywheel?

1. How do you calculate the rotational inertia of a flywheel?

The rotational inertia of a flywheel can be calculated using the formula I = (1/2)MR^2, where M is the mass of the flywheel and R is the radius of the flywheel.

2. What is the formula for calculating the power required to turn a flywheel?

The power required to turn a flywheel can be calculated using the formula P = (2πNT)/60, where N is the rotational speed of the flywheel in revolutions per minute (RPM) and T is the torque required to turn the flywheel.

3. How do you determine the torque required to turn a flywheel?

The torque required to turn a flywheel can be determined by dividing the power required by the rotational speed of the flywheel, using the formula T = P/(2πN/60). It can also be calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of the flywheel by its angular acceleration, using the formula T = Iα.

4. What factors affect the power required to turn a flywheel?

The power required to turn a flywheel is affected by the rotational speed, the moment of inertia, and the torque required. Other factors that may affect it include frictional forces and the weight of the flywheel.

5. How can the power required to turn a flywheel be reduced?

The power required to turn a flywheel can be reduced by decreasing the rotational speed, reducing the moment of inertia, and minimizing frictional forces. Additionally, using a smaller or more efficient flywheel can also help reduce the power required.