Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate indoor temperature?

1. Mar 19, 2015 #1
    Hello, I am trying to calculate the effect of insulation and weather conditions on a cottage. The cottage is made from a timber frame while the panels are of 4mm plywood. The weather conditions vary throughout the year between 0 and 30 Celsius. Cottage is around 25 m2 with 2.2 m height, consider as single room.

Question 1: What is the indoor temperature range if the insulation material used has an R-2.0 ?
    Question 2: If we are to install a timber furnace, how much timber do we need to maintain the room at optimal conditions during the winter ? How long will it take to reach the optimal temperature ? (assume optimal is 25 Celsius)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2015 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

For question 1, without providing heat to it, the temperature will lag a bit, but ultimately roughly equal outside temperature; a little cooler during the day unless there is bright sun, a little wamer at night.

For #2: do you know what an "R-value" is? It is exactly what you need to use to find a heat flow rate given the delta-T you specified. Give a try to using it and we'll help you along.

4. Mar 23, 2015 #3
    R-2.0 seems very low for an insulating material. How thick would it be? I could easily run a quick 2D thermal model for you.

5. May 26, 2015 #4
    We don't know how leaky his doors, windows and walls are to air infiltration, so results may vary.
    Walking around in bare feet might be a tad uncomfortable.

For a wood stove, check out this calculator I found.
    http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/burn_time_calculator [Broken]
    Hopefully the author has done his stuff correctly, and the calculator makes it easy to calculate the calculation of cords of wood needed for a stay at the cottage.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook