How to Calculate Magnetic Field Strength of Helmholtz Coils?

In summary: H_i is the magnetic field at point iI is the current in the coil\vec{dl}_i is the displacement vector along the coil's central axis\hat{r}_i is the position vector of the center of the coil in spacer_i is the distance from the center of the coil to point i
jgrossm1
I am currently working on a research project, and need an equation or method to find the magnetic field strength produced by any number of helmholtz coils, and not just on the central axis, but at any position in the space around them. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
it's just the vector sum of the b field due to each coil.

OK, i understand that, but how do you find the individual b field vectors for each coil, as all of the equations I've searched for so far will only do this for the central axis of a single coil, nowhere else

jgrossm1 said:
OK, i understand that, but how do you find the individual b field vectors for each coil, as all of the equations I've searched for so far will only do this for the central axis of a single coil, nowhere else

you have to do the integral of the biot-savart law for a point off axis. definitely someone has done it already though so it has to be somewhere. maybe look in an intermediate E&M book. or just do it yourself.

clive said:
Here is an analytical solution:
http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnet/offaxis/iloopoffaxis.htm

If not, do it numerically...(and you do not need those elliptic integrals any more)

Do you know of a website that demonstrates and explains the method numerically with the elliptic integrals?

In the numerical approach you do not need those elliptic integrals. You just consider each loop as a collection of small tail-to-tip oriented segments and sum the individual contributions at each point (of interest) of the space:
[tex]H_i=\frac{I\,\vec{dl}_i\times \hat{r}_i}{4\pi r_i^2}[/tex]

Related to How to Calculate Magnetic Field Strength of Helmholtz Coils?

What are Helmholtz Coils?

Helmholtz Coils are a set of two identical circular coils placed parallel to each other with a distance equal to the radius of the coils. They are used to produce a uniform magnetic field in the space between the coils.

What are Helmholtz Coils used for?

Helmholtz Coils are commonly used in scientific experiments to study the effects of uniform magnetic fields on various objects, such as charged particles or biological cells. They are also used in the calibration of other scientific instruments, such as magnetometers.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field produced by Helmholtz Coils?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by Helmholtz Coils is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the coils, the current flowing through the coils, and the distance between the coils.

What is the equation for calculating the magnetic field strength of Helmholtz Coils?

The equation for calculating the magnetic field strength at the center of Helmholtz Coils is B = μ₀N(I/R), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in each coil, I is the current flowing through the coils, and R is the radius of the coils.

What are some common applications of Helmholtz Coils?

In addition to scientific experiments and instrument calibration, Helmholtz Coils have various practical applications. They are used in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also used in the production of electronic devices, such as speakers and televisions.