Magnetic Field in plane 90 degrees off Helmholtz coil axis?

In summary, the magnetic field between two Helmholtz coils is uniform and zero well outside of the coils. However, when the probe enters or exits the coils, the field shoots negative.
BrickHowes
In a recent Physics lab, I experimented with the magnetic field generated by two Helmholts coils. I used a Hall probe, and some software created by the Grad students to plot the field strength against probe position in a series of configurations.

I understood almost all of the lab, I understand the field behavior for different separations between coils ON AXIS of the coils.

Here is what I what I do not understand, and I am hoping someone can help me figure it out:

Configuration:
Two Helmholtz coils, separated by the radius of the coil such that the on axis magnetic field is uniform between the coils, and nearly zero outside of the coils.

The probe is brought to the system (configured for radial measurements) such that the tip passes through the plane between the two rings, parallel to their diameters, and perpendicular to their axis. The probe is brought all the way through such that it begins and ends outside of the magnetic field, and experiences zero field at the begging and end of the measurement. The plot of the field strength reveals that the field between the rings is everywhere uniform, and is zero well outside of the rings. Fine, here's what confuses me,

Just as the probe enters or exits the rings, the field shoots negative.
What is a negative magnetic field, and why does it exist at the edges of the helmholtz rings?

Hope i made this clear enough, thank you for any direction...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Excellent, that helps so much.

Thank you!

1. What is a Helmholtz coil and how does it create a magnetic field?

A Helmholtz coil is a set of two identical circular coils placed parallel to each other, with a distance equal to the radius of the coils. When an electric current flows through these coils in the same direction, it creates a uniform magnetic field that is parallel to the plane of the coils. This is due to the cancellation of magnetic fields produced by each individual coil, resulting in a strong and uniform field in the space between the coils.

2. What is the significance of having the magnetic field in the plane at 90 degrees off the Helmholtz coil axis?

Having the magnetic field in the plane at 90 degrees off the Helmholtz coil axis allows for more precise control and manipulation of the field. This orientation provides a uniform and consistent magnetic field in a specific direction, making it ideal for experiments and applications that require a well-defined and stable field.

3. How is the strength of the magnetic field in this orientation determined?

The strength of the magnetic field in this orientation is determined by the current passing through the coils, the distance between the coils, and the number of turns in each coil. These factors can be adjusted to control and vary the strength of the magnetic field as needed for different experiments or applications.

4. What are some common uses of a magnetic field in this orientation?

A magnetic field in this orientation is commonly used in scientific research, such as in particle accelerators and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. It is also used in various industrial applications, such as in magnetic levitation, electromagnetic motors, and magnetic separation processes.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with a magnetic field in this orientation?

Yes, there are safety precautions to consider when working with a magnetic field in this orientation. Strong magnetic fields can have adverse effects on electronic devices, pacemakers, and other medical implants. It is also essential to avoid bringing ferromagnetic objects near the field, as they can be pulled towards the coils and potentially cause injury. Proper shielding and handling protocols should be followed when working with strong magnetic fields.