How to Calculate Minimum Height for Safe Parachute Deployment

In summary, the skydiver reaches a terminal velocity of 65m/s before opening his parachute. The parachute can provide a deceleration of 30m/s. If the skydiver opens his parachute at a height less than 104m, he risks injury.
stupif
1. a free falling skydiver reaches a terminal velocity of 65m/s before opening his parachute.the parachute can provide a deceleration of 30m/[s[2]. a parchutist cannot hit the ground at a speed greater than 5m/s without risking injury. what is the minimum height at which the skydiver can open his parachute?

2. anyone can gives me some guidelines to do this question. because i don't understand what the question talking about. i don't know where i should start.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically they want you to calculate from what height your final velocity will be 5m/s, assuming an initial velocity of 65m/s and an acceleration of -30m/s.

i used this formula [v[/2] = 2] + 2as
but my answer 70m. the answer is 104m.
then how?

I get 70m too. Might be a mistake in the answers?

Hi stupif! Welcome to PF! :smile:

@Nayfie: I like your drawing! :wink:

And it's nice that the parachute gives a deceleration of 30 m/s2, but did you consider that gravity still accelerates you down with 9.81 m/s2?

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
@Nayfie: I like your drawing! :wink:
I'm glad somebody liked it, it took me a lot longer than you'd think! :P

I like Serena said:
did you consider that gravity still accelerates you down with 9.81 m/s2?

I need more sleep. I think my brain has melted from exam study. :)

nayfie said:
I'm glad somebody liked it, it took me a lot longer than you'd think! :P

I'm not telling how long it took me to make the drawing for Lajka! :-p
But I enjoyed making it!

nayfie said:
I need more sleep. I think my brain has melted from exam study. :)

Well get some sleep and report back! :smile:

so how to solve this question~i think about it day and night~haha

Okay. I'll summarize everything we know and then you should be able to work this out.

[itex]g \approx 9.81ms^{-2}[/itex]
[itex]a_{parachute} = -30ms^{-2}[/itex]
[itex]v_{0} = 65ms^{-1}[/itex]
[itex]v_{f} = 5ms^{-1}[/itex]

The net acceleration will be [itex]a_{parachute} + g[/itex]. Notice that the acceleration of gravity is in opposite direction to the acceleration of the parachute.

This leaves you with one unknown. The distance over which this acceleration needs to act to slow you down from [itex]65ms^{-1}[/itex] to [itex]5ms^{-1}[/itex].

You have a formula to do this.

:)

thank you very much~i got it

What is a free falling object?

A free falling object is any object that is falling under the sole influence of gravity. This means that there are no other forces acting on the object, such as air resistance or propulsion.

What is the acceleration of a free falling object?

The acceleration of a free falling object is always a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared, regardless of the mass or size of the object. This is known as the acceleration due to gravity.

How does air resistance affect a free falling object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the speed of a free falling object. This is because as the object falls, it pushes against the air particles, causing them to push back and create a force that opposes the motion of the object.

At what rate does a free falling object gain speed?

A free falling object will gain speed at a rate of 9.8 meters per second every second. This means that after one second, it will be traveling at a speed of 9.8 meters per second, after two seconds it will be traveling at 19.6 meters per second, and so on.

Do all objects fall at the same rate?

Yes, all objects will fall at the same rate in a vacuum or if air resistance is negligible. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is constant for all objects, regardless of their mass or size.