How to Calculate Momentum and Impulse in a Car Collision

• Thread starter Ginny Mac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of initial and final momentum for a car collision analysis. The individual momentum quantities for each car can be calculated by multiplying its mass and velocity. To find the total momentum of the system, the individual momentums can be added together. If the collision is completely elastic, the total momentum will remain the same. If it is not, some momentum may be lost during the collision. Collision impulse is equal to the change in momentum and follows the law of conservation of momentum.
Ginny Mac
Hey ya'll - I am not getting the kind of answers I need to be getting for this lab assignment!

Let's say that I am analyzing a car collision, and I have initial and final velocities (initial=before collision, final=after collision) and the masses of both cars. To calculate initial and final momentum of the system, do I just need to calculate individual momentum quantities for both cars? For instance, find initial and final P for each, and then use P(system)= m1v1 + m2v2...etc. for the i/f values??

In order to find total momentum, would I subtract final from initial?

(And just to be sure I am on the right page...finding momentum for each car is just mass*velocity...?)

Also...collision impulse is equal to the change in momentum...I take this to mean an absolute value quantity. Am I correct in my reasoning? Thank you so much for your time - any suggestions/advice will help. :)
Ciao,
Gin

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a completely elastic collision? If it is, the TOTAL momentum of the system doesn't change no matter what. The total momentum is always the sum of each car's momentum.

In order to find total momentum, would I subtract final from initial?

that sounds like change in the momentum... although the law of conservation of momentum says the momentum at the beginning and the end stay the same...

so id say that the momentum at the beginning = momentum at the end

so m1vi1 + m2vi2 = m1vf1 + v2vf2

i think I am right even though i haven't done this in a while =P

oh yes if the collision isn't elastic then some momentum will be lost during the process... :X

Related to How to Calculate Momentum and Impulse in a Car Collision

What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a physical quantity that is a measure of an object's motion. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In simpler terms, it is the amount of motion an object has in a straight line.

How is linear momentum calculated?

The formula for linear momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This means that the momentum of an object is directly proportional to its mass and velocity.

What is the principle of conservation of linear momentum?

The principle of conservation of linear momentum states that in a closed system, the total linear momentum remains constant. This means that if there are no external forces acting on a system, the total momentum before and after an event will be the same. This principle is based on Newton's third law of motion.

How is linear momentum related to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is equal to the rate of change of momentum. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its change in momentum will be. In other words, force can be seen as the cause of a change in an object's momentum.

What are some real-life examples of linear momentum?

Some common examples of linear momentum in everyday life include a moving car, a thrown ball, a swinging pendulum, and a person riding a bike. In each of these examples, the object has both mass and velocity, thus possessing linear momentum.