How to Calculate Probability for Lottery Numbers?

• Thread starter member 529879
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
P4" (use combinations when order does matter).In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the probability of winning a lottery by choosing four numbers without repetition. The first approach of multiplying the probabilities of each number being picked was deemed incorrect, and it was suggested to use combinations instead. However, there was confusion about the importance of order in the selection of numbers. Eventually, it was concluded that the correct probability is 1/35960, which can be calculated using combinations if order does not matter.
member 529879
  1. The buyer of a lottery ticket chooses four numbers from the numbers 1 to 32. Repetition is not allowed.

How can this be solved? I thought it would be solved by multiplying the probability of each number being picked. 1/32 x 1/31 x 1/30 x 1/29. Though this seemed to give me the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Scheuerf said:
  1. The buyer of a lottery ticket chooses four numbers from the numbers 1 to 32. Repetition is not allowed.

How can this be solved? I thought it would be solved by multiplying the probability of each number being picked. 1/32 x 1/31 x 1/30 x 1/29. Though this seemed to give me the wrong answer.
I think you're looking at it the way you look at a problem involving drawing marbles out of a box, in which case "no repetition" is expressed as "marbles don't get put back". That's not the way to look at this problem. Try again.

Likes member 529879
I found the formula to use in this situation and found that I had to divide by 4! To get 35,960, but why is this not the same as drawing marbles out of a box?

Scheuerf said:
... why is this not the same as drawing marbles out of a box?
Depending on formulas is a bad idea. You need to depend on your understanding of the various kinds of problems, else you end up just applying formulas blindly, which doesn't always work.

Why would the chance of the 3rd number, just as an example, being 14, have anything to do with the first number being 3 (for example)? That is, what are the odds of the 3rd number being 14? What are the odds of the 1st number being 3?

EDIT: Hm ... I think *I* may be the one not thinking this through. I was thinking the odds of anyone number being some specific value is 1/32 but that would allow for duplicates.

Nuts. I think your original thought (1/32 x 1/31 x 1/30 x 1/29) should be right.

EDIT: EDIT: Well, nuts, nuts. I'm back to thinking I was right in the first place and your first thought was wrong. What I REALLY think, now, is that I should go to bed.

Your missing that if the winnings numbers were 1,2,3,4. You could win with 1,2,3,4 or 2,3,1,4 or ... The way you originally calculated it was that you needed to get the number in order.

Just to finish this off, the correct probability is: 4/32 x 3/31 x 2/30 x 1/29 = 1/35960.

You find all choices , which is ## 32C4## and just one of these is the winning combination. If order does not matter , then use ##32P4##

"4/32 x 3/31 x 2/30 x 1/29 = 1/35960."

True, but it doesn't give an indication why.

Nothing in your statement says order is important, so combinations can be used to count. The number of ways to select 4 numbers is
[tex]
C^{32}_4 = \dfrac{32!}{4! \cdot 28!} = \dfrac{32 \cdot 31 \cdot 30 \cdot 29}{4 \cdot 3 \cdot 2 \cdot 1}
[/tex]

Since the only way to win is to have exactly the four numbers selected by the authorities the probability is
[tex]
\dfrac 1 {C^{32}_4} = \dfrac{4 \cdot 3 \cdot 2 \cdot 1}{32 \cdot 31 \cdot 30 \cdot 29}
[/tex]

which is the expression you give.

"If order does not matter , then use 32P4"
You mean to say ``If order does matter, ...'' here.

I meant if different orderings of the same 4-ple are considered equal. That is my parsing of "if order does not matter".

My point was that you said "if order does not matter use 32P4" (use permutations when orders does not matter) was a typo on your part

What is simple probability?

Simple probability is the likelihood or chance of an event occurring. It is typically expressed as a fraction or decimal between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

How is simple probability calculated?

Simple probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if a coin is flipped, there are two possible outcomes - heads or tails. The probability of getting heads would be 1/2 or 0.5.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and predictions, while experimental probability is based on actual results observed through experiments or real-life events. Theoretical probability may not always match with experimental probability due to chance or other factors.

Can simple probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, simple probability cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. A probability of 1 indicates certainty, while a probability of 0 indicates impossibility. Any value outside of this range would not make sense in the context of probability.

How is simple probability used in real life?

Simple probability is used in many different fields, including statistics, finance, and science. It can help us make predictions and decisions based on the likelihood of certain events occurring. For example, insurance companies use probability to determine insurance rates, and scientists use probability to analyze data and draw conclusions.