How to calculate redshift from the schwartzchild metric

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of topology to calculate redshift in a binary star system. There is uncertainty about whether or not the superposition of two sources in the Schwartzchild metric can accurately represent the system, as the conditions for this metric do not hold in a binary system. It is also mentioned that numerical solutions may be the most practical approach to estimating geodesics for this type of problem.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm doing a project on the redshift from a star system (I chose a binomial system because why not). I might be going a little overboard using topology to calculate redshift, but whatever. First off, can I just treat a binomial system as the superposition of 2 sources which result in the schwartzchild metric? By that I mean one star isolated from the other would have the sc metric, as would the other, and the resulting system would have a similar metric, but there would be a path along 2 metrics to consider. So the topology from metric 1 + the metric from topology 2 along a path. I think this would work, but I'm not sure. I'm also not 100% on how to put this into a computer program.

Homework Equations

Schwartzchild metric.
##c^2d\tau^2= (1-\frac{r_s}{r})c^2dt^2 - (1-\frac{r_s}{r})^{-1}dr^2 -r^2(d\theta^2 + sin(\theta)d\phi^2)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I mean... I'm not sure what to put here.
First off, the left hand side is the proper time (of a photon), a differential element of which should be zero, I believe. Are the differentials on the RHS for an observer? So dr, dt, etc would be traced from the surface of emission to my observer? I'm tempted to assume that dt is a function of dr, or vice versa, along with theta and phi (zero, since I'm working in 2 spatial dimensions).
So correct me, please, but what I think I'm working with is something to the effect of:
##0 = (1-\frac{r_s}{r})c^2(dt(r,\theta))^2 - (1-\frac{r_s}{r})^{-1}dr^2 -r^2d\theta^2##
Or is this not useful (or even correct)?
Would it be better to solve for dt?

The reason I want to do it this way, is the only equation I've been able to find for redshift is either the Newtonian limit, or the limit as r-> inf. I want the redshift over a finite spatial distance.
I'm probably missing some things. So feel free to point them out.

**Edit
Ok, I suppose the RHS wouldn't be the coordinates for the observer in that manner, explicitly. However, the coordinates of the observer would be the end point of the path.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that, unfortunately, you can't use superposed Schwarzschild metrics for this calculation. As I recall, a key step in the development of the Swarzschild metric is the assumption that the spacetime is static and rotationally symmetric around the centre of the star, and neither of those conditions will hold in a binary system, either in relation to the centre of mass of the system, or the centre of either of the stars.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
might be going a little overboard using topology to calculate redshift
I don't understand what you mean by using topology. Do you mean using the gravitational equation - which is differential geometry, rather than topology? So far as I know, that is the only way to derive the formula for gravitational redshift.

Yes, sometimes I mix up the two terms and use them interchangeably. Sorry. Is there a metric that can be used for this type of problem?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Is there a metric that can be used for this type of problem?
Not an exact one. Follow this link to an earlier question on this. pervect gives some links to papers that use approximate metrics. But it sounds like even those are horribly complicated. Perhaps numerical solutions are the most accessible, practical way to estimate geodesics for a binary system.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt

1. How do I calculate redshift from the Schwartzchild metric?

To calculate redshift from the Schwartzchild metric, you will need to use the formula: 1+z = (1-2GM/rc^2)^1/2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object, r is the distance from the object, and c is the speed of light. This formula is derived from Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. What is the significance of calculating redshift from the Schwartzchild metric?

Calculating redshift from the Schwartzchild metric allows us to understand the effects of gravity on light and how it can be used to measure the mass of an object. It is also important in studying the expansion of the universe and the relationship between distance and redshift.

3. Can redshift be used to determine the age of the universe?

Yes, redshift can be used to determine the age of the universe, as it is a measure of the expansion of the universe. By measuring the redshift of distant objects, scientists can estimate the age of the universe and how it has evolved over time.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Schwartzchild metric to calculate redshift?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Schwartzchild metric to calculate redshift. This formula assumes a static, non-rotating, and spherically symmetric object. It also does not take into account the effects of dark energy, which can also contribute to redshift.

5. Can redshift be used to measure the mass of black holes?

Yes, redshift can be used to measure the mass of black holes. By studying the redshift of light emitted from matter falling into a black hole, scientists can estimate the mass of the black hole using the Schwartzchild metric formula.