How to calculate the angle at which a cylinder topples?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter help12345
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angle Cylinder
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
help12345
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I know the mass, length, and width of a cylinder. How do I calculate the angle at which the cylinder topples over? A quick Google search tells me that I need to find the cylinder's center of mass, which should be the actual center of the cylinder.


This is for a personal project and not homework related. I was unable to reply to Mark44's private message so I'm stating it here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do think you should do with the center of mass? Where's it going to be to not topple, or to topple?
 
Bystander said:
What do think you should do with the center of mass? Where's it going to be to not topple, or to topple?
Don't know...
Does the mass of the cylinder affect it's "toppling angle"?
 
In general, the critical angle, or the angle at which an object is about to topple is the angle between the vertical/horizontal and the line passing through the centre of mass and the edge over which the object is about to topple.