1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the angle at which a cylinder topples?

1. Nov 30, 2014 #1
    I know the mass, length, and width of a cylinder. How do I calculate the angle at which the cylinder topples over? A quick Google search tells me that I need to find the cylinder's center of mass, which should be the actual center of the cylinder.

This is for a personal project and not homework related. I was unable to reply to Mark44's private message so I'm stating it here.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do think you should do with the center of mass? Where's it going to be to not topple, or to topple?

4. Nov 30, 2014 #3
    Don't know...
    Does the mass of the cylinder affect it's "toppling angle"?

5. Nov 30, 2014 #4
    In general, the critical angle, or the angle at which an object is about to topple is the angle between the vertical/horizontal and the line passing through the centre of mass and the edge over which the object is about to topple.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook