Feynman problem about a cylinder in a corner

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Feynman involving cylinders with different mass densities connected in a specific way. The participants discuss their attempts to solve the problem and the possibility of multiple solutions. The need for additional constraints to determine a single solution is also mentioned.
mainguy
As always a fairly devious problem from Feynman, it's getting the better of me and I imagine some of you may be able to solve!

Excuse the poor drawing. He writes 'Consider cylinders radius πcm, he cylinders are chopped into thirds and two thirds are connected as shown in fig. The thirds have uniform mass densities, but different total masses - one has 2M the other M. Find the force exerted by the wall on the cylinder'
*Note, the radial line from the center of cylinder across mass M sector is parallel to the x-axis.

So how I solved this was by finding the center of mass, which I found to be 1.256cm from the center and at 23.5 degrees to the horizontal. I then proceeded to calculate the torque of the this center of mass about the pivot point which is directly below the center.
And then by equating this torque to that exerted by the wall (which I found to be Ffriction*pi) I found F.

I got it wrong by a long way, the actual answer is 8.1N and my force was 84N...
D6E00CA5-C137-4493-B6BA-DDBD773282D3.png

Attachments

• D6E00CA5-C137-4493-B6BA-DDBD773282D3.png
    D6E00CA5-C137-4493-B6BA-DDBD773282D3.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 712
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems immediately obvious that it is statically indeterminate. The cylinder can be under a combination of friction and normal forces that would allow it to wedge itself into the corner as tightly as it pleases. [Consider the equivalent problem of a rock climber ascending a chimney with not-quite-parallel sides -- the climber can choose to ascend or descend as he pleases].

So you mean to say the question is unanswerable? I'm not sure what you mean o_O

mainguy said:
So you mean to say the question is unanswerable? I'm not sure what you mean o_O
Yes. Many solutions are possible. Without further information, it will be impossible to pick a single right answer.

Suppose that a solution exists. To this solution, add a 1 Newton pressure from the cylinder at a 45 degree angle upwards against the wall and downwards against the floor. Increase the normal force from wall on cylinder by ##\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}## N and the frictional force from the wall by a like amount. Similarly for the normal force and friction at the floor.

[If the coefficient of friction is too small to support a 1 N force without slipping, make the added force small enough so that slipping does not occur. There will always be a force that is small enough, barring the corner case where the cylinder is perfectly balanced already and does not need the wall at all] Edit: I see that the problem statement makes it clear that the cylinder is unbalanced.

By inspection, the cylinder is still under no net force. It does not accelerate away.
By inspection, the cylinder is still under no net torque. It does not twist in place.

If we are to settle on a single solution, we need some additional constraint. Perhaps the cylinder is set gently in place and allowed to settle into the wall. Perhaps the wall is frictionless.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
Perhaps the wall is frictionless.
Or the floor?

A.T. said:
Or the floor?
If the floor has zero friction then equilibrium requires that the wall have zero normal force. The cylinder will sag, push itself away from the wall and slide indefinitely to the right, rocking all the way.

Going back to the original post, I see...
mainguy said:
And then by equating this torque to that exerted by the wall (which I found to be Ffriction*pi) I found F.
The wall exerts two component forces on the cylinder. One is friction. Given your chosen reference axis, there is another non-zero torque from wall on cylinder.

jbriggs444 said:
If the floor has zero friction then equilibrium requires that the wall have zero normal force.
Sticky wall? ;-)

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is the Feynman problem about a cylinder in a corner?

The Feynman problem about a cylinder in a corner is a famous physics problem posed by Nobel laureate Richard Feynman. It involves calculating the force required to pull a cylinder out of a corner where it is wedged.

2. What is the significance of this problem?

This problem is significant because it highlights the concept of friction and the difficulty in overcoming it. It also demonstrates how the shape and orientation of objects can affect the amount of force required to move them.

3. How is this problem solved?

There are several approaches to solving the Feynman problem about a cylinder in a corner. One method involves using the concept of torque to calculate the force needed to overcome the friction. Another approach is to use the equations of motion and consider the forces acting on the cylinder.

4. What are some real-world applications of this problem?

This problem has practical applications in various fields, such as engineering and construction. It can help engineers determine the amount of force needed to move or dislodge objects in tight spaces, such as machinery or vehicles stuck in narrow corners.

5. Are there any variations of this problem?

Yes, there are several variations of the Feynman problem about a cylinder in a corner. Some involve changing the shape or size of the cylinder, while others involve changing the angle or surface of the corner. These variations can provide further insights into the concept of friction and its effects on objects.