How to calculate the power distribution through this gearbox?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of understanding the flow of power in a gearbox and why the power in load 2 and load 1 are not equal to the power of the motor. The solution involves finding the angular velocity and torque in all the shafts and understanding the concept of power in watts. It is also emphasized to show the attempt in solving the problem and providing the full problem statement and information. Finally, the conversation concludes with the issue being resolved.
Amaelle
Homework Statement
How the power is distributed inside the gearbox
Relevant Equations
Gerbox
Greeting!
1648560364566.png

My problem is to understand the flux of power inside this gearbox
for example I can´t understand why the power in load 2 and load 1 are not equal to the power of the motor (suppose 100% efficiency). if this gearbox was an energy circuit (how to know that the energy is transmitted and shared) thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Amaelle said:
I can´t understand why the power in load 2 and load 1 are not equal to the power of the motor
Where did you find the power of the motor ?

Find the angular velocity of all the shafts.
Back compute the torque in all the shafts.
The product of torque and angular velocity is power.
Power in watts is the flow of energy in joules per second.
Follow the energy.
You need to show your attempt.

Likes berkeman
Baluncore said:
Where did you find the power of the motor ?

Find the angular velocity of all the shafts.
Back compute the torque in all the shafts.
The product of torque and angular velocity is power.
Power in watts is the flow of energy in joules per second.
Follow the energy.
You need to show your attempt.
thank you
I already have the solution, I just want to understand the intuition behind it, like for example if it was a circuit would be in parallel or in serie, I undertand know that it´s in serie and that the total power goes to the intermdiate shaft before it´s splited between load1 and load2

Why do you say ...
Amaelle said:
... for example I can´t understand why the power in load 2 and load 1 are not equal to the power of the motor (suppose 100% efficiency).
If you think the power account is not balanced, then show us what you think the powers are, and how you calculated them.

• Love
Likes Amaelle and Lnewqban
Can you visualize Z2-Z3 shaft as having motor power as input and L1 and L2 as two parallel outputs?
M power = L1 power + L2 power

Could you show us the whole problem statement and information?
We are missing the main question(s) and Z4 through Z7.

• Love
Likes Amaelle
Baluncore said:
Why do you say ...

If you think the power account is not balanced, then show us what you think the powers are, and how you calculated them.
thank you I could solve the issue :)

Lnewqban said:
Can you visualize Z2-Z3 shaft as having motor power as input and L1 and L2 as two parallel outputs?
M power = L1 power + L2 power

Could you show us the whole problem statement and information?
We are missing the main question(s) and Z4 through Z7.
thank you I could solve the issue :)

Likes Lnewqban

1. How do I calculate the power distribution through a gearbox?

To calculate the power distribution through a gearbox, you will need to know the input power and the gear ratios of each gear in the gearbox. The power distribution can be calculated by multiplying the input power by the gear ratios of each gear in the gearbox.

2. What is the formula for calculating power distribution in a gearbox?

The formula for calculating power distribution in a gearbox is: P(output) = P(input) * (Gear Ratio 1 * Gear Ratio 2 * ... * Gear Ratio n), where P(output) is the output power, P(input) is the input power, and Gear Ratio 1, 2, ..., n are the gear ratios of each gear in the gearbox.

3. Can I calculate power distribution through a gearbox without knowing the gear ratios?

No, it is not possible to calculate the power distribution through a gearbox without knowing the gear ratios. The gear ratios are essential in determining how the power is distributed through the gearbox.

4. How do I find the gear ratios for a gearbox?

The gear ratios for a gearbox can be found by dividing the number of teeth on the output gear by the number of teeth on the input gear. This will give you the gear ratio for that specific gear pair. Repeat this process for each gear in the gearbox to find all the gear ratios.

5. What factors can affect the power distribution in a gearbox?

The power distribution in a gearbox can be affected by several factors, such as the gear ratios, the efficiency of the gearbox, the load on the gearbox, and any external forces acting on the gearbox. It is important to consider all these factors when calculating the power distribution through a gearbox.