How to calculate the volume of this space

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of an area defined by the equation \sum_i x_i^4 <1 in n-dimensional space. The suggestion is to use a transformation formula and maps to simplify the calculation. One person will try using Monte Carlo simulation for a numerical value.
wdlang
in n-dimensional space, there is an area defined by

\sum_i x_i^4 <1

what is its volume?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi wdlang! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Hi all!

I would suggest you give it a try using the transformation formula!

The following maps could be helpful:

[tex]R^n\rightarrow R^n_{\geq 0}\rightarrow B^n[/tex], where B^n is the unit ball.

[tex](x_1,...,x_n)\rightarrow (x_1^2,...,x_n^2):=(y_1,...,y_n)\rightarrow ||y||_2^2=\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n y_k^2=\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n x_k^4[/tex]

Good luck!

Marin said:
Hi all!

I would suggest you give it a try using the transformation formula!

The following maps could be helpful:

[tex]R^n\rightarrow R^n_{\geq 0}\rightarrow B^n[/tex], where B^n is the unit ball.

[tex](x_1,...,x_n)\rightarrow (x_1^2,...,x_n^2):=(y_1,...,y_n)\rightarrow ||y||_2^2=\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n y_k^2=\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n x_k^4[/tex]

Good luck!

I will try that

i am a physics student, so i am satisfied with a numerical value

so i will also try it with Monte Carlo simulation

1. How do you calculate the volume of a rectangular space?

To calculate the volume of a rectangular space, you simply multiply the length, width, and height of the space together. The formula for volume is V = lwh.

2. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cube?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cube is V = s^3, where s is the length of one side of the cube.

3. How do you find the volume of an irregularly shaped space?

To find the volume of an irregularly shaped space, you can use the water displacement method. This involves filling a container with a known volume of water, placing the irregularly shaped object in the water, and measuring the change in water level. The change in water level is equal to the volume of the object.

4. Can the volume of a space be negative?

No, the volume of a space cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of the amount of space an object takes up, and it is always a positive value.

5. How can I convert volume from one unit to another?

To convert volume from one unit to another, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from liters to cubic meters, you would multiply the number of liters by 0.001. You can also use online conversion calculators or formulas to convert between different units of volume.