1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate turning radius of a car w.r.t speed?

1. Nov 28, 2014 #1
    I want to know the equation by which we can calculate the turing radius of a car with respect to speed or track length as im designing a racing track for my thesis project.
    Regards,
    M.Tayyeb

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What factors do you think might be involved in such an equation?

4. Nov 29, 2014 #3
    that is what i really want to know ....that how we can calculate the turning radius of a car. As per standard 25' (feet) is a standard but in sports it will change with respect to speed. But i didnt know the formula or equation by which we can easily determined the turning radius...

5. Nov 29, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What factors do you think might be involved in such an equation?

6. Nov 30, 2014 #5
    Lateral acceleration is V^2/R.
    Now you have to decide on an appropriate value for lateral acceleration, and unless you make quite a few simplifying assumptions it can all become exceedingly complex.
    Have a look at "Race car vehicle dynamics" by Milliken and Milliken to get a better understanding of the physics involved in this question.

Cheers,
    Terry

7. Nov 30, 2014 #6
    friction is the factor that you'll need to consider.
    so, the equation would be:
    ug=v^2/r, where u is the coefficient of static friction between the track and tires. If the track is at an angle, the equation will be slightly different.

8. Dec 1, 2014 #7

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but....

Be aware that we generally discourage just blurting out the answer. The thread is more valuable to everyone reading it now and in the future if you give the original poster a chance to think through and respond to the follow-up questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook