The aerodynamics of a car (calculating downforce)

In summary, the speaker is working on a project about aerodynamics of a formula 1 car and is trying to find a way to calculate the difference in pressure above and below the car in order to determine the downforce. However, they are having trouble finding the necessary information and acknowledge that this is a complex and difficult task.
casper
Summary: Basicly i am trying to find out if there's anyway to calculate the diffrence in pressure underneath and above the car so i can calculate the downforce

Hello I am doing a project about aerodynamics of a formula 1 car
when i wanted to do calculations of how much downforce each aerodynamic component creates i ran into a problem
Becouse every single website just said that it all came down to making sure the pressure underneath the car was lower then the pressure above the car
but how do you calculate how low the pressure under the car is becouse i can't find it anywhere
the formula I am using to calculate the downforce is
F = (delta)P * A
F = downforce in Newtons
(delta)P = the diffrence in pressure in pascals
A= Surface
But since i have no way of calculating the diffrence in pressure I am kind of stuck

Thank you in advance for any help

casper

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you can calculate such things, but it's an extraordinarily complicated process. Consider that McLaren's F1 team pays dedicated aerodynamicists £50,000+/yr to look at things like this, so doing it in any detail as part of a project is probably not very tractable.

1. What is downforce and why is it important in car aerodynamics?

Downforce is the force that pushes a car downwards towards the ground, created by the aerodynamic design of the car. It is important in car aerodynamics because it helps increase the car's grip and stability, allowing for better handling and control at high speeds.

2. How is downforce calculated?

Downforce is calculated by multiplying the car's coefficient of downforce (which is determined by the shape and design of the car) by the car's speed squared. This formula is known as the downforce equation.

3. What factors affect the amount of downforce a car can generate?

The shape and design of the car, the angle of the car's body, the size and placement of wings and spoilers, and the speed of the car are all factors that can affect the amount of downforce a car can generate.

4. How does downforce impact a car's performance?

Downforce can greatly impact a car's performance, especially at high speeds. It helps increase the car's grip and stability, allowing for better handling and control. It also helps improve the car's cornering ability and overall speed.

5. Are there any downsides to having too much downforce?

While downforce is important for a car's performance, having too much of it can also have negative effects. Too much downforce can create drag, which can slow down the car and decrease fuel efficiency. It can also put excess strain on the car's tires and suspension system.