How to calculate work done by friction on a falling feather?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of finding the work done by friction on a falling feather and a child sliding down a spiral slide. The equation used is W = U + K, which can also be written as W = Uf - Ui + Kf - Ki. However, there were some errors in the calculations and the correct equation is W = mgh - 1/2mv^2. The conversation also touches on the possibility of work being negative and the importance of correctly identifying the direction of the force and displacement.
petern
[SOLVED] Finding Work Done By Friction

A 1.2g feather is dropped from a height of 1.5m and immediately reaches terminal velocity. If the time to fall is 0.95 s and force of the air resistance on the feather is constant, how much work was done on the feather by friction? Answer: W = -0.016 J

I use the equation W = U + K which turns into W = Uf - Ui + Kf - Ki.
Then Uf + Kf = Ui + Ki + W. I know I have to bring the W to the other side but I don't know why. Does anyone have an explanation?

Then the equation becomes Ui = Kf + W because there's no Ki and Uf.

Then substitute mgh for Ui and 1/2mv^2 for Kf which makes the equation:
W = mgh - 1/2mv^2 but the answer turns out to be positive rather negative. I switch the mgh and 1/2 mv^2 and get a slightly different number it it's right. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
petern said:
A 1.2g feather is dropped from a height of 1.5m and immediately reaches terminal velocity. If the time to fall is 0.95 s and force of the air resistance on the feather is constant, how much work was done on the feather by friction? Answer: W = -0.0016 J

how sure are you that the above answer is correct?

olgranpappy said:
how sure are you that the above answer is correct?

I'm very sure that it's correct since we've been doing problems since the beginning of the school year and the answer given has always been correct except once. Is it not possible for work to be a negative number?

petern said:
I'm very sure that it's correct since we've been doing problems since the beginning of the school year and the answer given has always been correct except once. Is it not possible for work to be a negative number?

it is possible for work to be negative... and you should be able to tell right away whether your answer for the work should be positive of negative--are the force doing the work and the displacement in the same direction or in opposite directions?

also, what I meant in my previous post is: are you sure that you wrote the correct number of decimal places. Are you sure you didn't mean: "-0.016" instead of "-0.0016".

Oh, it's suppose to be -0.016. Just fixed it in the original post. I don't understand why I had to switch the mgh and the 1/2mv^2 in order for it to be negative. Also, why did I have to move the W to the other side?
Then Uf + Kf = Ui + Ki + W. I know I have to bring the W to the other side but I don't know why

petern said:
A 1.2g feather is dropped from a height of 1.5m and immediately reaches terminal velocity. If the time to fall is 0.95 s and force of the air resistance on the feather is constant, how much work was done on the feather by friction? Answer: W = -0.0016 J

I use the equation W = U + K which turns into W = Uf - Ui + Kf - Ki.

You use this equation right away. No need for further manipulation. That will only make you swap minus signs.

petern said:
Also, why did I have to move the W to the other side?

You didn't "have to", nor should you have, but you did anyways... and got the wrong answer... and then you undid what you did to get the right answer.

kamerling said:
You use this equation right away. No need for further manipulation. That will only make you swap minus signs.

Oh that works but can you explain why I had to go through that entire process for this problem:

A 35 kg school child climbs a 4.5 meter high spiral slide. If the child reaches a speed of 3.3 m/s at the bottom of the slide, how much work was done by friction?

I tried your method on this problem and it didn't work because the equation is suppose to be W = mgh -1/2mv^2.

petern said:
Oh that works but can you explain why I had to go through that entire process for this problem:

A 35 kg school child climbs a 4.5 meter high spiral slide. If the child reaches a speed of 3.3 m/s at the bottom of the slide, how much work was done by friction?

I tried your method on this problem and it didn't work because the equation is suppose to be W = mgh -1/2mv^2.

wrong.

olgranpappy said:
wrong.

Wow! I can't believe I teacher did the example problem incorrectly.

Those who can't do, teach. And those who can't teach, teach gym. :wink:

I'm working on the same problem but I'm having trouble, I can't quite get the right equation...I've been using the work equation and KE but I'm not sure that is right. And I don't get the equation above...

Related to How to calculate work done by friction on a falling feather?

What is work done by friction?

Work done by friction is the amount of energy that is converted into heat when an object moves across a surface. It is a form of mechanical energy that is lost during the movement of an object.

How is work done by friction calculated?

Work done by friction is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between two surfaces by the normal force acting on the object and the distance the object travels.

What factors affect the amount of work done by friction?

The amount of work done by friction is affected by the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the distance the object travels. Additionally, the roughness of the surfaces, the speed of the object, and the type of motion (sliding, rolling, etc.) can also impact the amount of work done by friction.

Why is work done by friction important?

Work done by friction is important because it helps us understand the efficiency of a system. The more work that is done by friction, the less efficient the system is. It also plays a crucial role in preventing objects from slipping or sliding, providing necessary traction for movement.

How can the amount of work done by friction be reduced?

The amount of work done by friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. This creates a thin layer that reduces the coefficient of friction, allowing for smoother movement and less energy lost to heat. Additionally, using smoother surfaces and reducing the normal force can also help reduce the amount of work done by friction.