Calculating Diaphragm Plates Needed to Stop 30,000 lb Object

• Thread starter brambilah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plates
In summary, an object with a mass of 30,000 lb falling at a height of 90ft is to be stopped by a series of diaphragms spaced 6" apart, using 1" welded plates. The potential energy and kinetic energy have been calculated to be 3.24x10^4 kip*in and the velocity at impact to be 76.101 ft*s^-1. Each plate has a weld capacity of 334 kip. It is not clear what the exact geometry of the situation is, but based on the conservation of momentum and the chosen impulse, it is estimated that 130 plates would be needed to stop the object. However, considering the feasibility and practicality, it is more likely
brambilah
I Have an object with a mass of 30,000 lb falling at a height of 90ft. The object is to be stopped by a series of diaphragms spaced out 6" apart. I am using 1" welded plates as diaphrams. I need to find out how many plates it takes to stop the object. I have calculated my potential energy=kinetic energy to be 3.24x10^4 kip*in and the velocity at impact to be 76.101 ft*s^-1. Also each plate to have a weld capacity of 334 kip. I want to find out how many plates will the object shear before it stops.

Physics news on Phys.org

brambilah said:
I Have an object with a mass of 30,000 lb falling at a height of 90ft. The object is to be stopped by a series of diaphragms spaced out 6" apart. I am using 1" welded plates as diaphrams. I need to find out how many plates it takes to stop the object. I have calculated my potential energy=kinetic energy to be 3.24x10^4 kip*in and the velocity at impact to be 76.101 ft*s^-1. Also each plate to have a weld capacity of 334 kip. I want to find out how many plates will the object shear before it stops.

Holy smokes! Is this for an episode of MythBusters or something? :bugeye:

berkeman said:
Holy smokes! :bugeye:

It's' "only" a 13 ton truck doing 50 mph. That's not a ridiculous thing to contain with a few inches of mild steel.

But without knowing some more about the geometry of the situation, it's impossible to answer the question.

AlephZero said:
It's' "only" a 13 ton truck doing 50 mph. That's not a ridiculous thing to contain with a few inches of mild steel.

But without knowing some more about the geometry of the situation, it's impossible to answer the question.

What type of geometry do you need to know??

I used the conservation of momentum. I have initial momentum of ρi=M*a=70.959 kip*sec
*Vi=51.88mph
*Vf=0 mph
*m1=30,000 lb ======>mass of object
*m2=163 lb ======> mass of 2'x2' 1" plate
*t=1" =====>Thickness of diaphragm plate
*Δt= t/((Vi-Vf)/2) =====>Duration of Average impulse
*Δt= 2.19 x 10^-3 sec
*F=250 kip =====>Magnitude of Impulse(Chosen as a practical max.)
*ρ1=ρi-F*Δt =====>Momentum after first impact
*ρ1=70.411 kip*sec
*Δρ1= ρi-ρ1 ======>Change in momentum after first impact
*ρ1=0.548 kip*sec
*V1=ρ1/(m1+m2) ======>Velocity after first impact
*V1=75.105 ft*s^-1
*ΔV1=Vi-V1 ======>Reduction in velocity
*ΔV1=0.996 ft*s^-1

N=ρi/Δp1 =======>Plates required
N=129.6

Can someone verify that these calculations are feasible?

Go and look at some roadside crash barriers, then decide if "130" is a believable answer.

I would calculate how much of work you can do deforming one plate, before you either break the welds, or break the plate due to plastic deformation. Your projectile velocity is low so I don't think you need to worry about punching a "bullet hole" through the plate, or any other dynamic effects.

I would guess the answer is more than one plate (simply from the way the question is asked) but more llkely to be 2 or 3 plates, not 130.

1. How do I calculate the number of diaphragm plates needed to stop a 30,000 lb object?

To calculate the number of diaphragm plates needed, you will first need to know the weight and size of each diaphragm plate. Then, divide the weight of the 30,000 lb object by the weight of each diaphragm plate to determine how many plates are needed to stop the object.

2. What is the purpose of using diaphragm plates to stop a 30,000 lb object?

Diaphragm plates are used to distribute the force of impact from the 30,000 lb object over a larger surface area, reducing the overall pressure and preventing damage or penetration. They also help to absorb and dissipate the energy of the impact.

3. How do I determine the size and thickness of the diaphragm plates needed?

The size and thickness of the diaphragm plates needed will depend on the weight and speed of the 30,000 lb object, as well as the material and construction of the plates. Consult with a structural engineer or refer to industry standards for recommended specifications.

4. Can diaphragm plates be used to stop objects of different weights?

Yes, diaphragm plates can be used to stop objects of varying weights. However, the number, size, and thickness of the plates needed may vary depending on the weight and speed of the object.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when calculating the number of diaphragm plates needed?

In addition to the weight and size of the object and diaphragm plates, other factors to consider include the speed and angle of impact, the material and construction of the plates, and the structural integrity of the surface or structure the plates will be mounted on.