Optimizing PhD Advisor Changes: Strategies for Success

In summary, the individual is considering changing their PhD subject/advisor and is debating between two actions. The first is to talk to their current advisor and then the potential new advisor. The second is to talk to the new advisor first and then inform the current advisor. They are also seeking advice on how to handle the situation professionally. They have heard of others changing advisors due to personality conflicts and are concerned about potential repercussions. They are leaning towards option 2 and are seeking opinions on the matter.
did.geridoo
Hi,

I want to change my current phd subject/advisor. There is one another subject/advisor that I like to work with, and I am considering one of the following 2 actions :

1- Talking to current advisor and telling him that I want to look for another subject. Then talking to the other one.

2- Talk to new potential advisor in private. If both of us seems that we may work together on a subject, then talk to current advisor. Otherwise continue with the current one.

If I follow first action and if, for some reason, fail to work with the new guy, then I would loose both, and I don't think there is another subject/advisor that I can work with.

For the second action, I am not sure how it seems from the point of view of US academic work ethic.

I like to hear any thoughts,
thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
just be honest, tall the current advisor that your interests have changed and that you believe that you have found a better suited topic with another person/group.

I have known 2 friends who have changed advisors. Both of them have done so because of "personality problems" with their advisors (they were at two different schools).

If you do not think your current advisor will try to sabotage you (you have a good relationship with them and they seem like a reasonable person), then I would certainly take Dr. Transport's advice. Honesty is usually the best policy.

If you are not on good terms with your current advisor, then you may want to go talk to the graduate student advisor (the person who advises all the grad students in your department) or the department chairperson. They will offer you good advice since they are "in the loop" regarding department politics that you may not be aware of.

Personally I would go with option 2. It's better to make sure that you have a new job before you quit the old one.

Question: what year are you? Also, are you a TA or an RA? This is sort of important. It's a lot easier to change groups when you've only worked in one group for a summer, since you're not seen as having an obligation to said group. If you're a TA, it's also a lot easier to quit, since your advisor hasn't been pouring money into you.

Go with Option 2. That puts you in the position of telling your advisor you've found something more interesting, and not that you want to leave even if you don't know where you are going.

1. How do I know if I need to change my PhD advisor?

There are a few reasons why you might consider changing your PhD advisor. Some common reasons include a lack of support or guidance from your current advisor, a mismatch in research interests or working styles, or an overall negative relationship with your advisor. If you are experiencing these issues, it may be time to consider changing advisors.

2. How do I approach my current advisor about changing?

Before making any decisions, it is important to have an open and honest conversation with your current advisor about your concerns. Schedule a meeting to discuss your thoughts and concerns, and be prepared to provide specific examples of why you are considering a change. It is important to handle this conversation professionally and respectfully.

3. How do I find a new PhD advisor?

One way to find a new PhD advisor is to reach out to other faculty members in your department or university who have similar research interests to yours. You can also attend department seminars or conferences to network and meet potential advisors. Additionally, some universities have formal processes in place for changing advisors, so be sure to check with your department for any guidelines or resources.

4. How do I ensure a smooth transition to a new advisor?

If you have decided to change advisors, it is important to handle the transition professionally and respectfully. Make sure to communicate your decision with your current advisor and thank them for their support. You should also work with your new advisor to develop a plan for your research and establish clear expectations and goals.

5. What should I do if I am unable to find a new PhD advisor?

If you are having difficulty finding a new advisor, it may be helpful to reach out to your department chair or other faculty members for guidance. They may be able to provide resources or suggestions for finding a new advisor. It is also important to keep an open mind and be willing to consider different research areas or universities if necessary.