Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fortran How to change data from linear scale to log scale

1. Nov 30, 2016 #1
    I am trying to calculate and draw a relation between (IL) and the Growth rate (m).
    I have used Il as range from 10^15 to 10^18 in the calculation and when I draw the relation (x-axis ) is Il and (y-axis ) is m. I converted the IL to be in log scale.
    I noticed unacceptable output.
    So, I am going to repeat the calculation again by by using IL in log scale.
    is there any mathematical relation can be used to make this conversion for IL.
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Nov 30, 2016 #3
    IL: Laser intensity ranging from 10^15 to 10^18.

5. Nov 30, 2016 #4

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

As I understand it, you have a data set of unknown origin which is a collection of ordered pairs: (IL, m). You have plotted this (a scatter graph?) and obtained a plot that is "unacceptable" for some reason.

You now want to re-scale the x axis on a log scale and you want to know a mathematical operation that can take an unscaled value for IL and convert it to a scaled value. So, for instance, 10^15 is represented as 15 and 10^18 is represented as 18.

What operations have you considered so far?

6. Nov 30, 2016 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

[I've put some of your words in boldface for emphasis.]
    But you already converted IL to log scale? I think you should clarify this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted