How to charge a low amperage battery?

In summary, the person has a 6Ah motorcycle battery with a maximum charging current of 0.6A/h and is wondering if there is a way to charge it with a 2.7Adc (4A RMS) charger. They considered using resistors in parallel or series, but are unsure of the exact method. The expert advises caution as the charger may not actually deliver 2.7A DC and suggests using a resistor in parallel or experimenting with a 25W or 30W motorbike light bulb. However, they also suggest considering just purchasing the proper charger.
James125
I have a motorcycle battery which is 6Ah, with a maximum charging current of 0.6A/h. Is there a method of charging it whilst using a 2.7Adc (4A RMS) charger?

I was thinking using resistors in parallel or series between the charger and the battery, but I am not sure exactly how.

Engineering news on Phys.org
James125 said:
I have a motorcycle battery which is 6Ah, with a maximum charging current of 0.6A/h. Is there a method of charging it whilst using a 2.7Adc (4A RMS) charger?

I was thinking using resistors in parallel or series between the charger and the battery, but I am not sure exactly how.

2.7Adc is not 4A RMS...

More info needed about the charger.

If the charger really delivers 2.7A DC to the battery on charge then putting a resistor in parallel with the battery might work but it's not without problems... Let's say the battery is 12V (on charge) and needs 0.6A. Then the resistor would need to shunt 2.7 - 0.6 = 2.1A. The required value would be about 12/2.1 = 5.7 ohms. However the power dissipated in the resistor would be 12 * 2.1 = 25W so it would need to be big resistor and it would get hot. Probably need a heat sink and a fan to cool it.

One option might be to experiment with a 25W or 30W motorbike light bulb in parallel with the battery while on charge. However since light bulbs aren't exactly high precision devices you would need to measure the battery current and experiment with different bulbs until the battery current was within limits. Problem then is if the bulb fails too much current will flow through the battery.

Is it just easier to buy the right charger?

1. How do I know if my battery has a low amperage?

A battery's amperage can be determined by its capacity, which is usually measured in ampere-hours (Ah) or milliampere-hours (mAh). If your battery's capacity is relatively low compared to other batteries of the same size, it is likely a low amperage battery.

2. Can I use a regular charger for a low amperage battery?

No, it is not recommended to use a regular charger for a low amperage battery. This is because a regular charger may deliver too much current, which can damage the battery or cause it to overheat. It is best to use a charger specifically designed for low amperage batteries.

3. How long does it take to charge a low amperage battery?

The charging time for a low amperage battery will depend on its capacity and the charging rate of the charger. On average, it may take 4-6 hours to fully charge a low amperage battery.

4. Can I charge a low amperage battery with a higher amperage charger?

It is not recommended to charge a low amperage battery with a higher amperage charger. This is because the battery may not be able to handle the higher current and could become damaged or even explode. Always use a charger that is suitable for the amperage of your battery.

5. How often should I charge a low amperage battery?

The frequency of charging a low amperage battery will depend on how often you use it. It is generally recommended to charge the battery when it reaches 50% of its capacity to prolong its lifespan. However, if you use the battery frequently, you may need to charge it more often.