1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to check AC current Through multimeter

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1
    Hai Guys.......

I want to check the AC current by using digtal multimeter.Please give me instruction.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No,
    Sorry - but assuming you mean household line/mains current (ie 120/230V) then anybody who needs to ask is probably not safe dealing with potentially lethal voltages.

4. Apr 26, 2010 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  5. Apr 27, 2010 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks russ - I was picturing somebody with a $5 DVM and it's optimistic 10A range trying to measure the current to a water heater.

6. Mar 13, 2011 #5
    I have a situation with a very small indicator lamp. The voltage is 5.4Vac. One lamp is burned out (I want to replace both). With a common multimeter in series with the good bulb, the range set to 200mA, the meter fluctuates, maximizing around 40mA. I am trying to reverse engineer the lamp for replacement, and only have a cheapo multimeter.

DSC02932x.JPG

Do you have any suggestions I might use for my situation?

Thanks

7. Mar 13, 2011 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well as said above, you can't find the amperage, but why do you want to anyway? You already have the voltage of the lamp...

8. Mar 13, 2011 #7
    Thanks Russ.

If I know the current draw, the voltage and the physical size I can (maybe) find a replacement bulb. Without the current draw known, the replacement bulb might draw more or less than the original and burn bright or dim.

9. Mar 13, 2011 #8
    5.3volts (RMS?) AC?

5 volts DC supplied by a mains adapter should be close enough to measure on the good bulb.
    Or perhaps you can make up with batteries and a few resistors?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook