How to check AC current Through multimeter

In summary, the conversation is discussing the safety concerns of measuring household line/mains current with a regular multimeter and suggests using a clamp-on meter instead. The conversation also touches on finding a replacement bulb for a small indicator lamp and the importance of knowing the current draw for an accurate replacement.
Durai
Hai Guys...

I want to check the AC current by using digtal multimeter.Please give me instruction.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No,
Sorry - but assuming you mean household line/mains current (ie 120/230V) then anybody who needs to ask is probably not safe dealing with potentially lethal voltages.

A regular multimeter won't do. You need a clamp-on meter: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgy/R-100047661/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks russ - I was picturing somebody with a $5 DVM and it's optimistic 10A range trying to measure the current to a water heater.

mgb_phys said:
No,
Sorry - but assuming you mean household line/mains current (ie 120/230V) then anybody who needs to ask is probably not safe dealing with potentially lethal voltages.

I have a situation with a very small indicator lamp. The voltage is 5.4Vac. One lamp is burned out (I want to replace both). With a common multimeter in series with the good bulb, the range set to 200mA, the meter fluctuates, maximizing around 40mA. I am trying to reverse engineer the lamp for replacement, and only have a cheapo multimeter.

DSC02932x.JPG

Do you have any suggestions I might use for my situation?

Thanks

Well as said above, you can't find the amperage, but why do you want to anyway? You already have the voltage of the lamp...

Thanks Russ.

If I know the current draw, the voltage and the physical size I can (maybe) find a replacement bulb. Without the current draw known, the replacement bulb might draw more or less than the original and burn bright or dim.

5.3volts (RMS?) AC?

5 volts DC supplied by a mains adapter should be close enough to measure on the good bulb.
Or perhaps you can make up with batteries and a few resistors?

1. What is a multimeter and how does it measure AC current?

A multimeter, also known as a volt-ohm meter (VOM), is an electronic device used to measure voltage, current, and resistance. To measure AC current, the multimeter uses a specialized setting that detects alternating currents, which flow in both directions. The multimeter then displays the value of the AC current in the selected unit of measurement (such as amps or milliamps).

2. What are the steps to check AC current using a multimeter?

The first step is to ensure that the multimeter is set to the AC current setting. Next, make sure the multimeter is properly connected to the circuit or device you want to measure. Then, turn on the power source and read the measurement on the multimeter display. Finally, remember to turn off the power source and disconnect the multimeter when finished.

3. Can I check AC current through a multimeter on any type of circuit or device?

Yes, as long as the multimeter is properly set to the AC current setting and is connected correctly, it can measure AC current on any type of circuit or device. However, it is important to note that multimeters have different ranges, so make sure the selected range is appropriate for the expected current measurement.

4. How accurate are multimeters in measuring AC current?

The accuracy of a multimeter in measuring AC current depends on the quality and calibration of the device. Most multimeters have an accuracy range of 0.5% to 2%, meaning the displayed value can deviate from the actual value by that percentage. It is important to regularly calibrate and maintain the multimeter for accurate measurements.

5. Can I measure AC current through multimeter on a live circuit?

Yes, it is possible to measure AC current through a multimeter on a live circuit. However, this should only be done by trained professionals using proper safety precautions. It is always recommended to turn off the power source and disconnect the circuit before measuring AC current to avoid any potential hazards.