Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make a hardware setup for monitoring BER of modbus

1. Mar 27, 2017 #1
    I have to devices in communication with modbus protocol. Master is PC and slave is compressor(100ft line,RS485 standard, modbus RTU protocol). I have to build a setup which will show how much the error in communication. I am coupling some white noise to the line and some burst signals too. I could see error has happened in communication from communication log file which is getting from the Omnimbt software that I am using in master. But instead of this I need to get the BER(bit error rate) and show persons who will be monitoring the performance of modbus communication. Can anybody suggest some possible ways for doing this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2017 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you know exactly what was transmitted and what was received, and if there was no error-correction, you can compare transmitted/received bit by bit.

4. Mar 27, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Jeeze, this is turning into a long project! :smile:

Does the RTU protocol include a checksum or CRC with each packet transmitted? How long of a checksum or CRC?

5. Mar 28, 2017 #4
    My doubt is how to determine the error, whether by comparing the signal with noise and without noise coupled as we can see in the noise analyzer(ref:figure below) or by determine in bit level comparison(BER)?
    31174-3893607.jpg

6. Mar 28, 2017 #5
    It has CRC with modbus signal

7. Mar 28, 2017 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

How many bit CRC? If each packet has the CRC checked, look at the packet error rate and multiply by the number of bits in the average packet length.

Your test should also send numbered packets, so that any loss of a packet without a CRC error logged is seen also.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted