How to come up with research questions?

• Thread starter Uranium235
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of coming up with research questions in physics, particularly for someone who is not actively involved in research. The speaker suggests that research questions often come from a desire to know more about a specific topic and that reading recent journal papers can help in identifying interesting questions. They also mention the importance of spending time in school and gaining knowledge before being able to contribute to the forefront of knowledge. Additionally, the speaker notes the challenge of finding research questions that are relevant to others in the field.
Uranium235
Hello everyone!:smile:
First of all, this is not a thread begging for research questions; I don't like taking other people's ideas and attaching my own name to them. Anyways, I have this big essay I need to write and I chose the subject of physics (this is the IB EE if anyone was wondering). I am looking at formulating a research question based around the photoelectric effect but I don't know where to start. How do experienced physicists come up with research questions? I mean I've tried forcing out research questions by sitting there staring at my wall for an hour while thinking about the the photoelectric effect. I've also tried reading my textbook and waiting for inspiration but that didn't work either. So my question is: how to experienced researchers in physics come up with research questions? How do Ph.D or masters students working towards a degree in physics come up with a thesis for example? Once again, I'm not looking for anyone to give me a specific research questions, I just want to know techniques that seasoned scientists use to come up with them.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, when working on something, you will say, "Boy, I wish we knew that better" at least a half-dozen times. One of them will be your next project. And so on.

That's a perfectly reasonable question. Unfortunately, my answer is rather unreasonable- speaking personally, I am able to come up with "research questions"/hypothesis/experiments only because I am actively involved in research.

By that I mean, I am able to perform research because I have spent time learning about what questions have interesting answers. And more- I can only reasonably guess what questions to ask in a very specific region of the 'scientific landscape', if you will. I can't come up with an interesting research question regarding the photoelectric effect off the top of my head, either- I'd have to find and read recent journal papers and figure out what is known and what is not, and determine what other people think are the interesting questions.

I'm not sure that's reasonable for someone in your position, but that's why so much time has to be spent in school- graduate and postdoctoral positions- before someone can get to the forefront of knowledge. You have to learn everything already known before you can learn something new.

Note- it's easy to come up with a project to measure something that has never been measured. The trick is figuring out which measurement *other people care about*.

1. How do I choose a research topic?

Choosing a research topic can be a daunting task, but there are a few things you can consider to help you narrow down your options. First, think about your interests and passions - what topics do you feel excited or curious about? Next, consider the current research in your field and identify any gaps or areas that have not been explored yet. Finally, think about the resources and expertise available to you, and make sure your topic is feasible and realistic.

2. What makes a good research question?

A good research question is one that is clear, specific, and relevant. It should be focused enough to guide your research, but broad enough to allow for exploration and discovery. A good research question should also be answerable through data and evidence, and should contribute new knowledge or insights to your field.

3. How can I ensure my research question is original?

To ensure your research question is original, it is important to conduct a thorough literature review before finalizing your topic. This will help you identify any existing studies on your topic and ensure that your question has not been answered before. Additionally, you can consult with your colleagues or supervisor to get their input and ensure your question is unique and adds value to the existing research.

4. How do I refine my research question?

Refining your research question is an important step in the research process. Once you have a general idea of your topic, you can start by brainstorming and writing down all your ideas and questions related to it. Then, you can narrow down your list by considering the feasibility, relevance, and clarity of each question. Finally, choose the question that best aligns with your research goals and interests.

5. Can I change my research question during the research process?

It is not uncommon for researchers to refine or even completely change their research question during the research process. This can happen as new information and insights are discovered, or if the original question proves to be too broad or unfeasible. However, it is important to discuss any changes with your supervisor or research team to ensure they align with your research goals and do not significantly alter the scope of your project.