How to completely erase harddrive

• Thread starter only_huce
  • Start date
Please factor in the level of motivation that someone would need to bother doing any of this. It's a nice talking point but in reality, unless you're friend is a member of a terrorist group or indulging in massive tax evasion - a simple format and maybe a pass with something that overwrites the data if you don't trust yourself not to take a peek at his pron collection...... A lot of identity theft criminals are very, very intelligent but access to a STM is beyond practical reach - especially when there are a thousand easier suckers just waiting. The government finds it much easier to waterboard the information out of you directly.

I'm not vouching for this guy but his article makes for interesting reading:
http://www.heliosdf.com/blog/?p=47 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
mheslep
Gold Member
... a simple format and maybe a pass with something that overwrites the data
A simple format and an overwrite are two very different things. A simple operating system based format will leave most of the bits alone, and then the software tools available to even the inept identity theft people, never mind the smart ones, will retrieve that information. The data has to be overwritten.

You're missing the point - I know exactly what a format does. The point being that nobody is going to waste their time bothering. The biggest risk comes from the OP who has chosen to ask for advice on how to wipe it - so hardly a risk there.
Anyway can't stop to talk - got to go make a tinfoil hat. They can read your thoughts too you know!

mheslep
Gold Member
You're missing the point - I know exactly what a format does. The point being that nobody is going to waste their time bothering. The biggest risk comes from the OP who has chosen to ask for advice on how to wipe it - so hardly a risk there.
Anyway can't stop to talk - got to go make a tinfoil hat. They can read your thoughts too you know!
We're talking past one another. I agree no one is going to bother, or be able to afford exotic electron microscope techniques. You are mistaken if you believe it is at all difficult for some idiot, with the motivation to make a buck, to run a bit collector program on a formatted drive.