How to concentrate white light in a very small point?

In summary,The community has a question for the PF about an optical project. They are looking for advice on how to achieve a very small point of concentrated light with a diameter of the order of microns. They are also looking for advice on using a good quality camera lens and what lens diameter they should use. They also want to know what is the distance between the light source and the object, and what is the object distance for a halogen light source.
CristianHernandez
Good morning everyone. I have a question for the community. I am doing an optical project in which I need, as the title says, to concentrate white light in a very small point, with a diameter of the order of microns, so that I can pass light through a pinhole. I've been trying it with some lens sets using a halogen lamp but I can not get a point small enough. How could I get this? I would greatly appreciate if you can, in addition to advising me on this issue, send me some bibliographical sources from which to consult, thank you very much.

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Others can give you better replies, but are you familiar with spherical and chromatic aberrations in lens systems? At a minimum, I would think you would need to use a compound lens that had these corrections. Do you have access to a good quality camera lens (detached from the camera body)? What lens diameter are you looking to use? What is your object distance (to your light source)? What is your light source?

Likes CristianHernandez
If memory serves, the smallest spot size you can produce with a perfect optical system is given by the Rayleigh criterion. My back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that your aim is rather ambitious.

Likes CristianHernandez
berkeman said:
Others can give you better replies, but are you familiar with spherical and chromatic aberrations in lens systems? At a minimum, I would think you would need to use a compound lens that had these corrections. Do you have access to a good quality camera lens (detached from the camera body)? What lens diameter are you looking to use? What is your object distance (to your light source)? What is your light source?

I am using a halogen lamp, but I also have available LED sources and even a Xenon lamp. I´m using the optics laboratory so i think i can get that special lens.

I'm doing the montage of a Czerny-Turner monochromator and for that I need to collimate the white light with a spherical mirror (I attach an image of this)
300px-Czerny-turner.png

Here I have another question, what effects will it have on the collimation of light and on the operation of the grating (D in the image) if the point of concentrated light (see point B of the image) is not very small?

Thank you so much

Attachments

• 300px-Czerny-turner.png
    300px-Czerny-turner.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 567
CristianHernandez said:
white light in a very small point, with a diameter of the order of microns, so that I can pass light through a pinhole
A point source of light will produce parallel rays upon reflection from a parabolic mirror.
You don't have appoint source ie the pinhole becomes the source of light, and the spherical mirror is an approximation of a parabolic mirror as long as the curvature is not too great.
As it is, any light that passes through the pinhole will be somewhat collimated upon reflection from the spherical mirror.
Question is - how strong of a light source ( ie pinhole ) do you need, and does all the light from the halogen lamp have to go through the pinhole.

What is white light?

White light is a combination of all the visible colors in the electromagnetic spectrum. It is what we perceive as colorless or neutral light.

Why would someone want to concentrate white light in a small point?

Concentrating white light in a small point can be useful in various scientific and technological applications, such as microscopy, laser technology, and solar energy harvesting.

How is white light concentrated in a small point?

White light can be concentrated in a small point by using lenses, mirrors, or optical fibers. These components are designed to manipulate the path of light and focus it onto a single point.

What are the challenges in concentrating white light in a small point?

One of the main challenges is achieving a high level of precision and accuracy in the concentration process. This requires careful design and alignment of the optical components. Additionally, maintaining the stability and consistency of the concentrated light can also be challenging.

What are the potential benefits of successfully concentrating white light in a small point?

The potential benefits include improved resolution and sensitivity in microscopy, higher efficiency and precision in laser technology, and increased efficiency in solar energy harvesting. It could also open up new possibilities in fields such as telecommunications and optical computing.