How to Configure a Power System for High Current and Low Voltage Demands?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Jhon Paul
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I have to configure a power system for a furnace which demands very high current of the order of 50KAmps with low voltage of the order of 100 volts.

Can anyone help me to get insight into how to configure the power system in boarder way.

I am planning to use a transformer with thyristors .
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Jhon Paul said:
I have to configure a power system for a furnace which demands very high current of the order of 50KAmps with low voltage of the order of 100 volts.

Can anyone help me to get insight into how to configure the power system in boarder way.

I am planning to use a transformer with thyristors .
That's a lot of power to be dealing with for the first time, Jhon! How did you end up with this assignment if you have not worked with such systems in the past? What kind of systems have you worked with so far? What regulatory permits and inspections are required for this industrial system? What do you need to do with your company's insurance carrier to get the final system signed off?
 
Whoa! That is a huge current. In power plants, we use isolated phase bus ducts for half that much current.

Interrupting such currents is very difficult. If not done right, the fire and explosion can destroy the whole facility and kill people.

This is not a topic to ask strangers about on an Internet forum.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Asymptotic and berkeman
Well presently I am using a power supply with 3KAmps under 30 volts. So though I don't claim I have the expertise on power system but yes I am familiar with the stuff. Next I am just looking on the architecture not to build the power system. Thats why I just mentioned if anyone have knowledge of bigger power unit can reply. back.
 
Jhon Paul said:
I have to configure a power system for a furnace which demands very high current of the order of 50KAmps with low voltage of the order of 100 volts.

Can anyone help me to get insight into how to configure the power system in boarder way.

I am planning to use a transformer with thyristors .
My advice is to contact an engineering firm with the requisite experience. Your application is outside of mine, but a lot of detail work goes into building a successful 5 MVA power controller.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters and berkeman
Jhon Paul said:
Well presently I am using a power supply with 3KAmps under 30 volts. So though I don't claim I have the expertise on power system but yes I am familiar with the stuff. Next I am just looking on the architecture not to build the power system. Thats why I just mentioned if anyone have knowledge of bigger power unit can reply. back.
That is an enormous amount of electricity. Designing and working on such systems requires licensed electricians and electrical engineers. Please find qualified people to do this work for you. Thread locked.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Asymptotic, davenn and berkeman