Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How To Consistently Explain Electromagnetism With Relativity

1. Nov 30, 2017 #141

Ibix

Science Advisor

That explanation works as long as you are happy to ignore the acceleration phase and just consider "before and after". There are a number of complications during the acceleration.

Yes. Note that this is a highly unrealistic electron drift velocity. Typical speeds are around 10-5m/s, yielding a separation change of around one part in 1026.

2. Nov 30, 2017 #142

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I disagree. As was pointed out earlier, you needed other people (using the mathematical formulas) to tell you the strength of each interaction. Your approach can help you understand the math, but it simply cannot substitute for the math.

It is not only inefficient, it is also insufficient.

But I am not the one who said your graphs were wrong, that was you. I am just telling you why: they are wrong because they are the outcome of a fundamentally flawed approach.

Another fundamental flaw of this approach is that you are attempting to “explain electromagnetism with relativity” when you don’t know relativity. How does that make sense as an approach? In order to avoid learning electromagnetism directly you are now trying to learn general relativity, but general relativity is a substantially more difficult subject.

If an advanced second grader asked you to explain multiplication tables using logarithms when they don’t know logarithms, would you not recommend a different approach to multiplication?

Case in point...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  3. Nov 30, 2017 #143
    Awesome! That's fine since I'm not illustrating the acceleration.

You're right.

4. Nov 30, 2017 #144
    How's this? Is this correct? Obviously didn't put as much effort as I did in the other ones.

DdECfii.png

5. Nov 30, 2017 #145

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

DrGreg's diagram is better because it shows at least two electrons in each case, so you see their spacing:

For two identical currents duplicate the lower part of the loop.

For two opposite currents look at the lower and the upper part of the loop.

attachment-php-attachmentid-44016-d-1329434012-png-png-png.png

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted