Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Electric currents and length contraction

1. Nov 8, 2017 #1
    Hi people, me bother yo again!

I understand that relativity theory lenght contraction is the explanation of magnetics fields.
    See the image:
    densidadcargasencorriente.jpg
    [​IMG]

1) In the S system, if q is moving at the same velocity than the electrons that made the current, the -I current into a neutral wire produces a magnetic field B that make a force Fm on q.
    2) It can be explained what happens in 1) from what happens in a system S´ that is moving at the same velocity than electrons and q. The lenght contraction of proton-proton distances made the wire not even more neutral so q, at rest in S´, feels an electric force Fe.

My question is why in S, as I show in 3) the moving of electrons do not result in lenght contraction of theire electron-electron distances making the wire not neutral and then an electric force Fe appears on q?

In this case I think I have the answer but not sure if it is correct and then I ask you about it:

Is cause "a neutral wire in S" is neutral because the main distances electron-electron in a frame where electrons are a rest is the one needed to make those distances are the same as proton-proton distances in a frame where protons are at rest?

Thanks!

PS: In the case my answer is correct, the trasient from neutral wire without currents to steady current in it, would be interesting in terms of relativity effects! I´m right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2017 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Nov 8, 2017 #3
    Nice! Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted