How to correctly solve this problem? (linear dependency)

In summary, the question is whether the vectors (a + b), (a - b), and (a - 2b + c) are linearly independent when a, b, and c are linearly independent vectors. One approach is to align a, b, and c with the x-y-z axis and show that no combination of the first two vectors can create the third vector, therefore proving their independence. Another approach is to form a 3x3 matrix with the x, y, and z coordinates of the three combination vectors and check if the determinant is equal to zero, indicating dependence. Both approaches involve using algebra and simple integers in the calculations.
BobJimbo
This is the problem:

Suppose a, b and c are linearly independent vectors. Determine whether or not the
vectors (a + b), (a - b), and (a - 2b + c) are linearly independent.

Here was my solution, which involved writing words (and hasn't actually been confirmed correct yet):

Let's align a, b and c with the x-y-z axis so that a and b have only x and y components, whereas c has z too. This is true for any set of linearly independent vectors. This would mean no combination of (a + b) and (a - b) can create (a - 2b + c), because neither has a z component, and therefore (a + b), (a - b), and (a - 2b + c) are also linearly independent.

I'd like to know what the most efficient solution is, which I assume is algebraic and doesn't involve so many words. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Bob:

Your approach is is good. Each of the three combination vectors can be expressed as a triple of (x,y,z) values. It is possible to chose the scale of the x, y, and z coordinates such that a=b=c=1 If you form a matrix with these three triples, the determinant will equal zero if the three triples are not independent. Note that this 3x3 matrix will have elements that are all simple integers.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes BobJimbo

1. How do I determine if two vectors are linearly dependent or independent?

To determine if two vectors are linearly dependent, you can use the following steps:

• Write the two vectors as column matrices.
  • Create a matrix by placing the two column matrices next to each other.
  • Find the determinant of the matrix.
  • If the determinant is equal to 0, the vectors are linearly dependent. If it is not equal to 0, the vectors are linearly independent.

2. What is the difference between linear independence and linear dependence?

Linear independence refers to a set of vectors that cannot be written as a linear combination of each other. Linear dependence, on the other hand, refers to a set of vectors that can be expressed as a linear combination of each other.

3. How do I solve a linear dependency problem using row operations?

To solve a linear dependency problem using row operations, you can use the following steps:

• Write the vectors as row matrices.
  • Create a matrix by placing the row matrices on top of each other.
  • Use row operations to reduce the matrix to its reduced row echelon form.
  • If there are any rows of zeros, those vectors are linearly dependent.

4. Can there be more than two linearly dependent vectors?

Yes, there can be any number of linearly dependent vectors. In fact, a set of n vectors in n-dimensional space is linearly dependent if and only if at least one of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others.

5. How can I use linear dependency to solve a system of equations?

If a system of equations has a linearly dependent set of equations, it means that at least one of the equations is a linear combination of the others. This can be useful in solving the system because you can eliminate one of the equations and still have a valid solution.