How to derive Coriolis acceleration from Frénet–Serret?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of centripetal and transverse accelerations, as well as the reciprocal relationship between the radius of curvature and curvature. The speaker also mentions the need to take time derivatives of the radius of curvature to obtain radial and Coriolis acceleration, and wonders if this can also be derived using the Frénet–Serret analysis. They suggest looking at previous posts and an Insights article on Physics Forums for further information.
swampwiz
I've been able to derive the centripetal & transverse accelerations, and I understand how the radius of curvature is the reciprocal of the curvature, and that to get the radial & Coriolis acceleration, I need to get the time derivatives of the radius of curvature, but I don't see exactly how they come out. I also understand how to derive these in a rotating reference frame, but it seems that somehow they should also come out of the Frénet–Serret analysis. Or maybe I am wrong on this?

*** EDIT: I think I see the problem I am having, but any advice would still be welcome.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the Frénet-Serret formula?

The Frénet-Serret formula is a mathematical tool used to describe the motion of a particle or object in space by considering its position, velocity, and acceleration. It is based on the concept of a moving frame of reference that is attached to the particle and rotates along with it.

2. How does the Frénet-Serret formula relate to Coriolis acceleration?

The Frénet-Serret formula allows us to calculate the acceleration of a particle along its trajectory, which includes the Coriolis acceleration. This is because the formula takes into account the changing direction of the velocity vector, which is a key factor in the Coriolis effect.

3. What is Coriolis acceleration?

Coriolis acceleration is a fictitious force that appears to act on objects in motion on a rotating reference frame, such as the Earth. It is perpendicular to the direction of motion and is caused by the rotation of the frame of reference.

4. How do you derive Coriolis acceleration using the Frénet-Serret formula?

To derive Coriolis acceleration using the Frénet-Serret formula, you first need to determine the velocity and acceleration vectors of the particle. Then, you can use the formula to calculate the acceleration along the trajectory, which includes the Coriolis acceleration term.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the Frénet-Serret formula and Coriolis acceleration?

Understanding the Frénet-Serret formula and Coriolis acceleration is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and meteorology. It can help explain the motion of objects in a rotating reference frame, such as the Earth's rotation and its effects on weather patterns. It is also used in the design and analysis of rotating machinery and vehicles, such as airplanes and satellites.